Patrick's Reviews > Through the Woods

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

bookshelves: books-i-would-blurb

This book freaked my shit out.

Yeah. How's that for a blurb?

"This freaked my shit out."
- Patrick Rothfuss

The truth is, this book is amazing. I've read a lot of great comics this last year, and out of all of them, this is the one that had the most profound emotional effect on me.

It's not gory, or graphic. It's... unsettling. It's creepy. It's like the darkest of the old-school faerie tales.

I read it at night before I was going to go to bed. And when I was done, I was too unnerved to go to sleep. I had to read something else to settle myself down first.

Seriously. I'm 40 years old. And still this thing got to me.

Highly *highly* recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through the Woods.

Started Reading
December 7, 2014 – Shelved
December 7, 2014 – Shelved as: books-i-would-blurb
December 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Jenpisky I have chills. Just finished it and I'm pretty sure I will have nightmares tonight. SO GOOD!

Patrick Oh yeah. Good luck sleeping.

message 3: by Godzilla (new) - added it

Godzilla wait a second...... this is a comic bok?

message 4: by Patrick (last edited Jan 11, 2015 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick They're collected stories with a strong illustrative elements. It's not a traditional comic though.

Reem ROFL. Love your blurb. I wish they would use it for real. I'm a graphic novel junkie, but I've never heard of this before and read it because it was recommended by a friend, the very talented yet humble Eric Orchard. He said it was creepy so I wanted to see if it would indeed scare my socks off (pardon the cliche). It did. The stories are original and I love the art. It has earned a permanent spot on my bookshelf.

Garrett Nicolai I agree with you Pat, very unsettling.

Tamara This is pretty much the same thing that happened to me.

message 8: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie Now I know I must read it.

Chrissy This was super creepy... so creepy that I thought it was the perfect book to hand my 15 year old to read before bed....muahahaha!

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison Hahaha I love this. You're so cute Patrick. But seriously get back (the fuck) to work, I'm tired of waiting. Have a nice day, your fan Ally C

message 11: by Kristine (new) - added it

Kristine Love that review! I'm in a Lovecraft reading group that truly enjoys creepy Eldritch dread in a book. I will look for this.

Tanya Lol That's hilarious! It's my 11 yr old's favorite book.

Do you know any other books like this that are appropriate for her? It's really hard to find books that'll give her a good scare without being gory.

message 13: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly P. Best review ever. Laying in bed at 3am, dying laughing. Thanks, now I may never sleep!

message 14: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella Is this a comic book/graphic novel? Or is it an actual book?

message 15: by Kristine (new) - added it

Kristine I read this & then bought it for a friend. He loved it! Agreed the story is creepy & the artwork amazing!

Rocio Marin just finished...wish me good luck to sleep

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Ross He could have stopped after his quote and that would have been enough for me to be thoroughly amused by his review.