Andreas Manessinger's Reviews > Real World Java EE Patterns--Rethinking Best Practices

Real World Java EE Patterns--Rethinking Best Practices by Adam Bien

Dec 07, 2014

I highly recommend this book, although, strictly speaking, it is not very good. Someone on Amazon or maybe here complained that it feels like a sloppily assembled collection of blog posts, and I think that ultimately describes my own feelings pretty well. It does not matter though. Content is important and content is where this book shines.

Who is it for? By all means, if you expect an introduction into Java EE and its basic concepts, look elsewhere. This is no beginner's book, this is about the hard stuff and the non-obvious parts of the spec. On the other hand, I have written a fairly large Java EE 6 tutorial myself (google "An Eclipse / GlassFish / Java EE 6 Tutorial" if you're interested) and I have enjoyed Bien's book. Bien teaches a non-dogmatic, free-form style of Java EE development, and he teaches you to actually think about your architecture instead of following blueprints.

Like other authors trying to cover modern Java EE, Adam Bien spends a lot of effort trying to convince you, that the old patterns from legacy J2EE are mostly ready for retirement. If you've never used J2EE, most of that is wasted on you and it won't even be understandable. But then, coexistence of J2EE and Java EE 6/7 is a big use case in the corporate world.

In the end this is just like any other book of patterns: Try to understand them, use those you need, skip the rest. In fact, as Java EE is so capable at its core and as this book covers a lot of corner cases, you'll probably end up skipping most patterns here. Still, it's good to know them and it will make you a better developer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real World Java EE Patterns--Rethinking Best Practices.

December 7, 2014 – Started Reading
December 7, 2014 – Shelved
December 15, 2014 –
26.0% "Mixed feelings. Yes, it's an important book, yes, it's not well written. So far I can get something out of it though, thus it is a net win. I'll have to say more about that."
December 18, 2014 –