Sophie's Reviews > A League of Her Own

A League of Her Own by Karen Rock

bookshelves: print-books

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

A League of Her Own is the second book I have read by Karen Rock and both times I’ve loved how she’s built the connection between the love interests, making the development in their relationships natural and paced well. A League of Her Own surrounds the romance of Garrett, the Falcons’ baseball pitcher, and Heather, the Falcons’ new interim manager. The author draws on several sensitive themes throughout this book, such as addiction and foster care, and I love how she epitomises the heart-warming novel. At times I found the story a little sad, and at others brighter and more uplifting, but it was entertaining the whole way through and I was rooting for a happy ending for everyone involved.

A League of Her Own defines the slow-building romance, to the extent that I was almost halfway into the book before I could understand what either character would see in the other one. I struggled to believe that this novel could bring a romance story that I could get behind, because both Heather and Garrett seemed so critical of each other and overly judgmental too. Heather takes the role of interim manager after her father’s health scare, and she becomes the first female manager in the league. She has a strange bond with her dad – though he’s always checking up on her, he never seems to believe in her or be proud of what she achieves, but this only makes her want to prove herself more. Her issues with her mother, who she has no contact with, leads her to struggle to trust anyone and so managing recovering alcoholic Garrett is a problem for her. She doesn’t believe he’ll cut out the alcohol and I didn’t particularly like the way she kept checking up on him. It seemed unfair that she could judge him and come to conclusions without any evidence. Then again, he was just as offhand with her. I liked the banter and interaction between them from the beginning but his initial issues with her seemed purely because she was a female coach and I found that a little annoying. Realistic, but not that great to read.

I was surprised at the way this book was going and I really thought I wasn’t going to enjoy the romance at all. But then we saw the introduction of a foster kid in Levi, and the way Garrett responded to him was beautiful to read. It really helped me connect with his character and I loved Levi’s involvement in the way Garrett’s character developed. Their scenes were, for me, the most powerful and touching in the novel and the way Garrett approached Levi made all his positive traits stand out and I warmed to him very quickly after that. Levi’s story was really moving and though things could have struck a nerve with Garrett, he instead showed such a brave and caring side that it was impossible for me to dislike him. And then we get to see some romance which I could actually believe and I was drawn in to the story, wanting the moment to come when Heather and Garrett could overcome all the obstacles put in front of them and make things work. The twists kept coming towards the end and everything was up in the air, making me even quicker to turn the pages and see how things would play out. I loved how the author built up to the end.

Another highlight of this novel for me was the well-researched portrayal of baseball. I love sport but being in the UK, have little knowledge of baseball but feel like I came out of this novel much more informed, and entertained, by the sport. I liked how the sport didn’t get forgotten for the romance and there were plenty of games mentioned, bringing out how tense it can get when the team is struggling and on the other side of that, how good team spirit can help results. The baseball theme wasn’t overdone but it was just right, and made this book stand out a little from other contemporary romance novels I’ve read. I loved getting to know a little bit about some of Garrett’s teammates and they brought quite a few amusing moments in the book. A League of Her Own kept on getting better and it provided a really captivating story which I’m getting used to from Karen Rock. It’s sweet and emotional and a rewarding read.

*Book received in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A League of Her Own.

Started Reading