Katarina's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Jul 20, 2010

bookshelves: magic, favorites, for-hopeless-romantics

** spoiler alert ** Ethan cannot wait until he graduates to get out of his small, predictable town of Gatlin, North Carolina. The most exciting thing to happen each year is the reenactment of the civil war.
Gatlin seems to be the town that time forgot and as Ethan struggles to find something to tie him to this little town, after his mother passed away last Spring and his father has unexpectedly become the town recluse as a result, he finds himself being drawn to the new student at Jackson High, Lena Duchannes. The irony? Lena is the niece of the town's "Boo Radley" which immediately makes her an outcast with most of the people in town AND Lena happens to be the unnamed face of a girl that Ethan has been having very realistic dreams about for the past couple of months.
The story unravels into a twisted dark fantasy about love, loss and life as a secret Lena's unwilling to share turns Ethan's entire world into chaos. An unforgettable and addicting read! Great story! Loved all the plot twists. Puts a modern take on classic southern setting. I really enjoyed all of the allusions to modern ideas. The dark fantasy of the book was really enhanced with the theme of it being set in the South. I really loved that the storyline was completely unpredictable and truly something I had never read before. Absolutely a favorite!! Can't wait for "Beautiful Darkness."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.

Quotes Katarina Liked

Kami Garcia
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I'll never love you any less than I do, right this second.”
Kami Garcia, Beautiful Creatures