Dest's Reviews > Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid

Why We Suck by Denis Leary

After telling a friend that I'd just finished reading two books with heavy, emotional subjects, she suggested I read this. The book claims to be offensive to everyone at some point. That alone made me laugh. Life is serious but we've all gotten way too easily offended and need to see ourselves in a totally different way.....even those parts of us that aren't so great and especially those parts that we think are the absolute best. Why? Because they aren't.

Leary manages to simply write things that are true observations of people in general and while he will write a line or two of "disclaimer" before launching into a diatribe, he doesn't waste time in the book going on and on about something isn't meant to offend and apologize, etc. I like the directness and bluntness that he uses.

Were there parts that offended me? Sure, a little. Then I realized that I really shouldn't be offended because frankly, most of it has a LOT of truth to it.

I laughed, out loud, through a large part of the book. When I wasn't laughing, I was grinning. Most of the time I was nodding in agreement.

Want to laugh at yourself? Want to chuckle at just how ridiculous some things have become? Get this book. It's a great, funny and light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Suck.

Finished Reading