Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Rikers High

3152001
Jul 20, 2010

bookshelves: author-interviewed-on-my-blog
Read in July, 2010

RIKERS HIGH- first published in 2002 as RIKERS - was the first book published by Volponi - and the last one for me to read. Heart-stopping, powerful, exceptional, and REAL! These are just words that have no meaning unless you read this book.

A general comment:
I hope EVERYONE reads Volponi's books, including this one. He opens windows to society that few have the guts to see. Most shut their eyes tight and never give this part of our society even a nod. Volponi puts it out there and I'm certain that he's only given the reader a tiny bit of what he has seen and experienced through the years with what many of OUR urban youth face every single day. I don't know Volponi, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who walks around seeing himself as a hero - or even the type of guy who lives to be thanked... Even his picture shows him looking off to the side.

So, here's what think. Volponi's work as an author and teacher changes lives. He gives readers a gift and it's up to us to decide what to do with it. Do we walk away, maybe tell others what powerful books he's written, or do we do something in this world, big or small, to make it a little better for someone else? - Ultimately that's what Volponi's saying. Life can be really crappy (big time understatement) out there... What's truly valuable? I won't forget these books and I promise you that I will do something to honor Volponi to make this world a better place... When I do and soon (today or tomorrow) I will whisper - "Volponi this is in honor of you too - keep up the incredible work!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rikers High.

10/27/2016 marked as: read

Curtis Singleton Very impressive

Liza Wiemer I totally agree, Curtis. Hope you've had the opportunity to read Paul Volponi's latest novel THE FINAL FOUR. It's been months since I've read it, but I still think about it once in awhile. It's that powerful and insightful into the world of NCAA basketball.