Anula's Reviews > The Baking Bible

The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

bookshelves: cookbook-baking-pastry-bread

One of the best baking cookbooks out there!
Comprehensive, detailed, with many advice to each and every recipe, problem solving tips and recipes that, if followed correctly, are fool proof!
It's a cookbook that's difficult to put down - due to almost "lickable" photos :) and description of the bakes. I've made an almost endless list of things to bake from it and I only keep adding to it whenever I reach for this book...

Rose put an awful lot of work into creating a cookbook that will teach you not only how to bake a particular cake, tart, cookies, but will also make you understand basic baking rules, why different flours give different results, why you can't omit certain steps or about the ones that are not necessary in creating that masterpiece.

The recipes are easy to follow, with clear instructions and some of them are supported by step-by-step photos. Even though you might feel a bit daunted at the beginning, by the sheer length of them and the amount of steps needed, don't give up! The very first recipe I've made from the book was for the famous Breton Kouign Amann (the pastry on the book's cover photo), a bake that's challenging and not easy even for an experienced baker, but after following Rose's recipe to a dot, I was really pleased with the result.

I own both ebook and a hard copy - without a doubt, if you can, go for the hard copy! It's not only beautifully published, on a high quality paper with stunning photos, but I also found it easier to bake from. As useful as tables are, it's less hassle (at least for me) to put an open book on the counter and see the full recipe along with the instructions at one glance (especially if you have your hands stuck in the dough...). Yes, most of the recipes run for more than two full pages, but it's still an experience of a "live", real book in your hands over an electronic one.

Perfect as a present for all aspiring bakers - both professional ones, as well as those baking only in their home kitchen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baking Bible.

Started Reading