Candace's Reviews > The Next Breath

The Next Breath by Laurel Osterkamp

I’ve read The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp but that’s the only one of her books I had read so far. The Next Breath has the same characters as The Holdout but stands completely on it’s own. I was excited to get back to these characters I’ve gotten to know a little and see some things from Robin’s past that I hadn’t known about before.

In this book Robin is dealing with a lost love from when she was in college. She’s starring in the play he wrote and she’s dealing with a lot of emotions that she had tucked away. We get bits of the time period when she was meeting, getting to know and then dating Jed. We are there with her and see her emotions as she deals with falling in love with him, dealing with his devastating disease (Cystic Fibrosis) and then losing him. In modern day she’s dating the amazing and awesome Nick but he doesn’t know about Jed and she’s struggling to tell him. There are some slight relationship issues between them as Robin is working through things. It was hard to predict how things would work out for them, but I was rooting for them because they just feel like they are meant to be together.

This is an emotional read, there were parts where I cried. It was done incredibly well though because the dark parts aren’t long and we get a reprieve when we flash back to current time. I liked that I loved both guys and understood why she had fallen for both. Don’t worry, there is no love triangle! She doesn’t have to decide between the two, she just has to learn how to let go of the past and live in the now.

Robin is strong but I understood her pain. I really connected with everything she was going through. Everything she had gone through.

Though an emotional read it really is a beautiful one. It’s about normal average people and there are subtle messages through the book that really make you stop and think. I read this book in one day because once I started I didn’t want to stop. I highly recommend!

You can find this review, and others like it, on my blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Breath.

Started Reading