Nicole's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jul 19, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, angels-nephilim, signed-by-the-author

Why four stars? Plain and simple, I don't agree with her choice in boy, and I know there must be some way this all could have gone down differently. Loved the writing, and it is an amazing story, but she picked wrong! Ugh, sorry... whew... calm down Nicole... ahem, so another reason I gave this four stars is I didn't feel like the characters were really developed. I think Angela was and Tucker was, but not even Clara was dimensional enough for me. Yes, there's supposed to be a lot of mystery in the characters. I get that. But that doesn't mean you under-develop your main characters. I felt like there was a lot of blah at certain parts, parts that didn't make a difference in the plot. Parts that would have made the book shorter, and possibly more interesting. No filler scenes needed in this one. The idea was already interesting enough. It was, admittedly a great ending and the only reason I even want to pick up the next one is to see who she picks in the next one, because frankly I think it took her way too quickly to fall in love with (insert boy name here) and she can't deny what she has with the other. I'm just saying. What happens to her brother at the end also really interests me. Soot, or not soot?

Sorry, I'm being a bit cryptic, but hey, you want to read it now right? I know I'm saying all these bad things about it. Truly this book was great. Maybe it didn't live up to the hype or my high expectations, but it was a definitely a refreshing version of the YA angel novels. And I'm starved for the sequel, so it sure as hell wasn't all bad. But, like I said, I didn't like her choice in the end and Cynthia Hand, that choice better change right quick!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

message 1: by Emy (new) - added it

Emy looooooool !!! u r sooo funny !! i like it ;)

Nicole Lol yeah I wrote it at like 1 in the morning right after finishing it, but I'm still pissed off about it

message 3: by Emy (new) - added it

Emy well, I haven't read it yet so... this is one of the books I'd say I'm kinda dying to read loooool