John 's Reviews > A Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

A long book which I didn’t want to end. I’m not alone in wanting the star of the show back.

He (OM that is) and John Wheelwright are best friends who grow up together in New Hampshire. Their lives are intertwined. They love each other in an almost biblical sense. The Bible and religion will figure quite prominently here, but don’t let that put you off.

These boys are born in 1942, (the same year as John Irving) so we follow them through interesting times in the US of A – the cold war, Cuba, Kennedy assassinations, the Summer of Love and, central here, Vietnam.

Owen, though very small in stature, has a giant personality, one that leads and teaches and understands. John, the narrator is always in his shadow (I did use the word biblical, remember? John was the disciple who Jesus loved?)

Owen Meany is not someone you can forget in a hurry. Irving’s imagination went into overdrive when creating him and his story. Lots of humour, pathos, superb characterisation. Come back into my life, Owen Meany!!

Basket ball will never be the same again for me.

If it’s not on your radar it should be. Be warned! You will probably get a nudge from me in that direction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer for Owen Meany.

December 5, 2014 – Shelved
December 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2019 – Started Reading
April 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Simen (new)

Simen Oem One of my favorites of all time. I held on to that book for years.

John I think I can understand why. Although I've only read a few pages so far it is already beginning to take a hold.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie Thanks for the rec!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, John! Thank you for the recommendation! 😊

John Jennifer wrote: "Great review, John! Thank you for the recommendation! 😊"

Thanks Jennifer. You are welcome! It's a pretty addictive read.

John Thank you Leslie!

Based on ..'Owen Meany' I definitely want to read more John Irving.