Ruth's Reviews > Pleasure for Pleasure

Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James

bookshelves: historical-romance, series, regency-victorian

If Rafe is my favorite hero from this series, then Josie is my favorite heroine. Incredibly outspoken, desperately wanting to be married after seeing her sisters do the same, swearing like a navvy and incredibly insecure.

I LOVE the way the author treats Josie's lack of self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy. The book beautifully expresses the insecurities of late-teen years and the desperation of not looking like everyone else, and total ignorance about the power of your own sexuality. It also addresses excellently how different men find different women sexually attractive. The hero can't keep his eyes (and later his hands) off her, even though he can't quite get over their age difference, or his notorious past, or the fact that he's never even looked at voluptuous women before (I actually found that bit more than a tad difficult to believe, though).

The secondary romance is also excellent. It's not a cursory glimpse, but gets it's own chapters. I loved that Griselda found happiness.

In general, this series has followed a formula which I've found I really love - Shakespearean themes, a light touch with the language (the writing is wonderfully witty) but at the same time addressing some really excellent themes (feeling like an outcast because of appearance as a teenager, alcoholism, feelings of worthlessness on being judged only on physical beauty, finding the man you lusted over for years just wasn't really what you needed after all and then guilt when he dies). The Shakespearean farce theme is worked in very well. Sometimes I felt like I was losing the plot, but that is how these plays are - slightly chaotic as though the cast is going to lose control at any minute, until it all comes right at the end.

There were some bizarre typos in my kindle copy (replacing Annabel for Isobel, for example), but they didn't reduce my enjoyment.

5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure for Pleasure.

July 19, 2010 – Shelved