kynndra-jo's Reviews > Golden Son

Golden Son by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: 2014-favorites, dystopian, favorites, loves-of-my-life
Read 2 times. Last read December 4, 2014 to December 17, 2014.

Bloodydamn amazing. My heart hurts so bad /loudly cries

Golden Son picks up two years after the ending of Red Rising, making the main character Darrow nineteen/twenty. At first I was a bit lost with the time jump, but it really did work out just fine. You can feel how our little Darrow has matured since the first novel (though... even then he was an adult before his time). Now, I repeat my first statement in how I don't see why this is labeled as a dystopian. The Red Rising trilogy thus far has proven to be more of a sci-fi epic in my opinion. Hmm, well actually - it does center on overthrowing a corrupted society. Okay, nevermind. It's a sci-fi dystopian contraption that I bloodydamn LOVED.

Again, the Red Rising trilogy is really something that someone has to read on their own. It's really a complex labyrinth of twists and turns; however, I suppose I'll bite the bullet and try and dish out what this fantastic series is about. Gather round, dear bookish creatures.

So we have Darrow who went through a freakshow of a school, if you're wondering what happens here then read book one, Red Rising. Anywho, once Darrow is relinquished from said 'school' aka the Academy, he joins the side of the very man he hopes to bring down. He stays with this royal Gold for two years (the time jump I mentioned earlier), though when Darrow fails one of his missions the man is prepared to cast Darrow away like a lame horse. But that can't happen. Darrow needs to stay in the inner circle to bring down this unjust Society. Chaos ensues and we are slammed into a whole new action packed adventure. Darrow kicks ass and becomes the same character multiple people (aka the other characters) idolized when he was in the Academy.

This book, I myself believe surpassed the first. The story followed down a much darker path into how this corrupt Society really works and how it degrades its people into ranks. Ranks that are labeled by the color of their eyes. The original gang from the first novel are back and boy are they so much more developed in Golden Son. Sevro, my dearest Sevro is still my die hard favorite character.

Pierce conducted one hell of an adventure, oh and the plot twists and the suspension. Don't get me started there. Amazing, good quality writing.

I will say one thing. These books are long, and they feel it as well. This one not so much as Red Rising but it's still there. You need patience before you get to the marrow of the story. Trust me it is worth it. I can see this series exploding in popularity, it's definitely unique; though, I'll be the first to admit, it may not be everyones cup of tea. Do not let that stop you though from trying it. I implore anyone and everyone to give this soul-sucking series a chance - it might just surprise you like it did me.

Oh and the ending. THE ENDING.

Me at the end: shocked, broken and lost. What the ever living fuckery, Pierce Brown.

description

Goodluck, fellow readers. You'll need it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Son.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 30, 2014 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
December 4, 2014 – Started Reading
December 4, 2014 – Shelved
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-favorites
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: dystopian
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
December 17, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 4, 2015 – Shelved as: loves-of-my-life
July 6, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy (Hardcover Edition)