Paula Weston's Reviews > Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil

Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta

bookshelves: australian, crime, my-favourites

This book confirms something I've suspected for a while: Melina Marchetta is a genre all of her own.

I love her contemporary YA. I love her fantasy. And after devouring Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil, I can say that I love her style of crime/thriller. The common thread between all of Melina's books is her ability write beautifully flawed characters we care about - and to do so with pathos and insight.

Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil is a brilliantly crafted novel of injustice, redemption, forgiveness, culpability and guilt. Interestingly, I found parallels between this book and the Lumatere Chronicles (three of my all-time favourite novels) in the way it explores the complexities of family, prejudice, fear and truth.

Given the subject matter, Melina approaches this story in a way that's remarkably measured. She shines an uncomfortable light on how collective fear can destroy empathy, but also doesn't shy away from the ugliness and trauma of terrorism in all its forms.

This is a page-turner that delivers a gut punch - and a spark of hope that wounds, no matter how deep, are not always beyond healing. This novel takes us to dark places but Melina Marchetta always leads us back into the light, for which I'm grateful.

As with every Melina Marchetta novel, there were more than a few moments that left me choked up and teary, especially towards the end. And I'm still reliving the story and thinking about those characters (caring about them) days later.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil.

December 4, 2014 – Shelved