Beth's Reviews > The Glassblower of Murano

The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato

Jul 18, 2010

bookshelves: bookcrossing, fiction-general, fiction-womens

I really loved this book. The author artfully switches between two interwoven tales, one modern-day and the other in the 17th-century, both centered in the intriguing and romantic city of Venice, Italy. The story has a bit of everything; romance, history, art, music, murder, intrigue, sacrifice and escapism. I also really enjoyed the central theme of glassblowing, which to me is an amazing art, and made this story even more interesting. The format of this book was wonderful; the chapters are short and the story flows quickly, and I was impressed with how the author managed to weave the two stories together, almost as if they were one -- yet they were actually set a couple hundred years apart. The setting was perfect, as Venice has a timeless and unchanging quality to it -- so it was easy to imagine that pieces of the 17-century Venice are still present in the modern day. And interestingly, according to the conversation with the author at the back of the book, some facets of the story are actually true, although the central characters are fictional. It's just that type of thing that makes me appreciate a book even more -- and now it makes me want to go back to Venice to explore the city some more, and especially to visit the famous glassblowers on Murano. Overall, an excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glassblower of Murano.

July 18, 2010 – Started Reading