Cathy Douglas's Reviews > After Dark

Jul 18, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction-other, 2010
Read from July 18 to 27, 2010

This guy's supposed to be a really good writer, but I didn't know which of his books to try first. I picked this one because it had such a beautiful cover. Sort of an intriguing idea, too, with the woman who is the subject of the book sleeping through it.

My main problem with this was that Mari, the sleeping woman's sister, felt like a nothing to me. She just kind of mooched around. I didn't get any sort of grip on her, other than as the sister of somebody interesting. I made it through the book with a certain amount of indifference to the people in it.

The translation was weird. The copious amount of slang came off forced. And why have a book in Japan, and then set it at a Denny's? But the Denny's turned into some other restaurant midway. I could be mistaken--maybe they decided to go to a new restaurant while I wasn't paying a lot of attention--but I think the Denny's got a generic name after the first few chapters. Really, it wouldn't have bothered me if they went someplace Japanese. It's like the translator was trying too hard to cater to Americans.

I can see Murakami writing some very good books. But this isn't, probably, his best. Gorgeous cover, thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Dark.

07/18/2010 page 100