Du Nguyen's Reviews > 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works

10% Happier by Dan   Harris

10% Happier by Dan Harris is a memoir in which Harris tells the story of how he discovered meditation. Dan Harris is a journalist and the book begins with his choice of career and all the way up until he chokes on national TV and suffers a panic during a broadcast. This turning point of his life led him to try out meditation.

The book is very well written (Harris is a journalist after all) and the language is mostly clear and simple. You quickly sense that Harris writes from a very personal standpoint and despite this he is never afraid to censor himself. What I really like about this book that it is written from the standpoint of a skeptic. Harris has been a skeptic of meditation and as I have same skepticism it is refreshing to hear a take on meditation without having it move into the spiritual and metaphysical realms.

Although the book is very well-written Harris sometimes try and embellish the language. This sometimes distracts from the reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10% Happier.

December 3, 2014 – Shelved