Jonetta's Reviews > The Horse Dancer

The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, audiobook, publisher-review-request, 17000-in-2017, 4000-books, audio-1000

Originally posted on The Book Nympho

I’m not a horse person but have always been fascinated by these magnificent animals and the people obsessed with them. One of the things that worked about this story is how you didn’t need to have background information to appreciate the world, conflicts and issues.

Henri Lachappelle was part of an elite French calvary skilled in an art form of dressage dating back over 250 years. He’s a widow living with his 14-year old granddaughter, Sarah, who he’s training to reach his skill level. They own a horse named Boo who is stabled in an urban area of London beneath railway arches. When Henri is suddenly hospitalized, Sarah finds herself alone until her path crosses Natasha Macauley, a solicitor advocate who takes her in, along with her estranged husband, Mac. The challenges that follow bring out the best and worst of all of them as they struggle to make their situation work.

Moyes crafts each of these characters so skillfully, showing all sides, boils and all. There are times when you want to throttle all of them but then later want to applaud them for what’s truly in their hearts. Natasha was the most challenging to embrace as she was adept at hiding her feelings, presenting most frequently a rather cool indifference. But typical of a Moyes character, what lay beneath that exterior was complex. What binds all of them together, however is Boo, the most fabulous horse who Sarah loves unconditionally.

Fiona Hardingham is outstanding in her narration, providing each character with his and her own distinctive voice and personality while communicating a difficult story. She made the words leap from the pages, creating vivid images of setting, the quirky folks in Henri and Sarah’s world and, of course Boo.

I really enjoyed this story, despite some situations that stretched the limits of credulity (who doesn’t notice a horse traveling from London to France through the streets?). It’s a good tale with great characterizations and I’m glad I opted to listen versus read.

(I received a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse Dancer.

December 3, 2014 – Shelved
November 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 17000-in-2017
November 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 4000-books
November 11, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-1000
November 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review Jonetta!

Jonetta Thank you, Mary Beth!

message 3: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Davis Excellent review Jonetta!

Jonetta Thanks, Lynne!

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Great review. Though I don't own horses I know I'll love this book.

Jonetta Thanks, Carol!

message 7: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I need to find this book...

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Jonetta

Jonetta Crystal wrote: "I need to find this book..."

Hope you do, Crystal.

Wendy wrote: "Great review Jonetta"

Thank you, Wendy!