Jonathan's Reviews > The Wild Boys

The Wild Boys by William S. Burroughs

Jul 18, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-more-than-once, lit-usa-canada, wonderfully-weird, genre-sci-fi, 20th-century, author-male, book-type-novel, year-1969
Read from November 20 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

I first read Wild Boys about twenty years ago when I was trying to like William Burroughs' books. As it is a short book I thought I'd read it again before getting rid of it.

I can't say my feelings about Burroughs' work has changed that much - essentially I don't really like it that much but he certainly had a bit of style. He's at his worst when the cut-up stuff takes over and he's at his best when he actually gets a bit of a narrative going, which admittedly doesn't happen often.

The constant references to cocks, ass, vaseline-smearing and yes, rectal mucous all gets a bit wearisome after a hundred pages. It's similar to the effect of reading Marquis de Sade: an interesting person, a fascinating person, an interesting read for a while and then it just becomes a drudgery to read. Maybe it's best to read Burroughs in small bursts.

I gave it 2/5, but maybe, just maybe it's worth 3/5, only I'm feeling a bit mean today so I'll stick with 2/5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Boys.

11/20/2011 page 59