Sara's Reviews > Stolen Songbird

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

bookshelves: female-protagonists, fantasy, young-adult, pleasant-surprises

Actual Rating: 3.5 / 5

I won Stolen Songbird from a giveaway at Books, Bones & Buffy earlier this year (thanks again, Tammy!), and I'm happy that I finally made time to read it. This first installment of the Malediction Trilogy follows burgeoning singer Cecile de Troyes as she's kidnapped and sold to trolls who are cursed to live under the nearby mountains. At first, Cecile's only focus is on her escape. But after she's forced to marry the troll prince Tristan and learns about his people's plight, the more she sympathizes with them - and the more she comes to understand her own powers as a witch.

I love fictional worlds that are captivating and unique, and Stolen Songbird delivers on that front with its French influences, illuminating magic system (literally!), and a focus on a supernatural race that's not often covered in YA fantasy. The story was more of a romance than I was expecting, but not in a bad way. Cecile and Tristan's disputes (sometimes a charade for political reasons, other times real) were often funny and offered a fresh dynamic to the plot. The pretentious yet deeply conflicted Prince Tristan also shocked me by becoming my favorite character. The writing was strong but felt rushed at times; and I wasn't too keen on the ending, since Cecile didn't get a chance to prove herself, IMO. But overall, Stolen Songbird is a solid, engaging story with plenty of surprises and potential to appeal to older readers as well as teens. Time to get my hands on Hidden Huntress now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Songbird.

December 3, 2014 – Shelved
December 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2015 – Started Reading
July 12, 2015 –
page 66
14.07% "Really like this so far! The trolls' underground world is fascinating so far, and I have a feeling there's more to Tristan than his "insufferableness." ;) I also like the French-influenced names."
July 14, 2015 –
page 131
27.93% "Oooooh! Are there going to be more chapters from Tristan's POV? Because I enjoyed that very much. :D"
July 17, 2015 –
page 220
46.91% "Pretty good so far! A couple scenes around the 30% point didn't flow too smoothly, but the world is fascinating and Tristan and Cecile's relationship very dynamic. I also like how layered and complex Tristan is as a character."
July 18, 2015 –
page 256
54.58% "I need to stop going to bed so late so that I have more "energy" to read before falling asleep. :/"
July 19, 2015 –
page 384
81.88% "As sadistic as this might sound, I want to meet Roland. I want to know what kind of chaos would ensue if Cecile runs into him before the end. Or, maybe I'll regret that..."
July 20, 2015 – Finished Reading