Rita's Reviews > My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Winter Romances

My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins

Overall rating of 3.5 stars.

Every year I want to read something Christmas-y in December and as I heard that this anthology would come out in 2014, I knew it would be my choice for the year.

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell - 3.5 stars
This was a great start of this anthology. I enjyoed Rainbow Rowell's writing a lot and I liked how the story progressed every year on New Year's Eve. I liked both characters, but overall the story didn't blew me away. I guess it was way too short for that.

The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link - 3 stars
I didn't really get this story. I didn't care for the characters and the story was alright, but nothing more.

Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Peña - 5 stars
I loved this story! This was the first story in the anthology that felt like a Christmas love story. I loved the dialogue and the characters and the story itself. I will definitely check out Matt de la Peña's other work.

Polaris Is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han - 3 stars
This was again an alright story. The concept was interesting (a human girl living with Santa Claus and his elves on the North Pole), but the characters fell flat; there was some potential there, but the few pages were just not enough to show it.

It's A Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins - 5 stars
This seemed to be one of the longer stories and I just adored this one. The story was so interesting and the characters were likeable at once. I just couldn't get enough of them.

Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan - 2 stars
This was definitely the worst stories of all. I just didn't like it. I couldn't emphatize with any of the characters and it seemed like the main character was a spineless yes-man. I couldn't stand him and that ruined the whole story for me.

Krampuslauf by Holly Black 4.5 stars
I didn't think that I would enjoy this story as much as I did, but it was great. It was confusing at first, but as I've read a few pages of the story, I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't get enough of it. I loved the magic, the characters, the different problems all of the girls had, the sassiness, the New Year's Eve party.

What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman - 5 stars
Great story! I loved the dialogue, the characters and the story. The college setting and the struggles of the main character of being a college student felt authentic and relatable.

Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire - 4 stars
This one was quite hilarious. I liked the main character and his pranks and how it's revealed why he started with his pranks. The church setting was quite interesting and the Nativity was quite interesting and although it actually isn't my type of story, I really enjoyed it.

Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White - 5 stars
The setting of the diner was something I loved from the start. I loved the family dynamics and the cooking and baking. The stories of the main character as well as those from minor characters were great and I loved reading this one.

Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter - 3 stars
This story was alright. I thought the girl changing plane tickets with another girl to just get away was an interesting concept, although the revealing of the girls' true identity was rather disappointing and the ending did seem rushed and quite unrealistic.

The Girl Who Woke The Dreamer by Laini Taylor - 4 stars
This story was quite confusing at the beginning, but as I read on and I came to understand what it was about, I enjoyed it very much. The magical parts were great and the whole concept of this world that was built around the story was quite interesting. I loved the main character, who wanted to be free and not married away to someone she didn't even love. Great story and a worthy ending to this anthology.

All in all, I really enjoyed this anthology and I will definitely read more of this type of book in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My True Love Gave to Me.

December 2, 2014 – Shelved
December 2, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-winter-reading-challenge-2014
December 3, 2014 – Started Reading
December 4, 2014 –
page 27
7.61% "Midnights by Rainbow Rowell - 3.5 stars"
page 57
16.06% "The Lady and the Fox - 3 stars"
page 95
26.76% "Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Peña - 5 stars"
page 111
31.27% "Polaris Is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han - 3 stars"
page 149
41.97% "It's A Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins - 5/5 stars"
page 167
47.04% "Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan - 2/5 stars"
page 197
55.49% "Krampuslauf by Holly Black 4.5/5 stars"
page 225
63.38% "What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman - 5/5 stars"
page 255
71.83% "Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire - 4/5 stars"
page 293
82.54% "Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White - 5/5 stars"
page 325
91.55% "Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter - 3/5 stars"
page 355
100.0% "The Girl Who Woke The Dreamer by Laini Taylor - 4/5 stars"
December 7, 2014 – Finished Reading