Lola 's Reviews > Two Boys Kissing

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

bookshelves: m-m-romance, contemporary, short-read

description

David Levithan has just become my new coup de cœur author. Every time I will find my heart aching for an LGBT book or a meaningful read, it’s in his works that I will look forward to plunge myself. And there are so many books of his that I have not had the occasion to devour yet. Yet.

It’s with a lingering sensation that I turned the last page. While this may be the kind of story that needs a certain conclusion to its plot (and you can feel it), I didn’t want to let go of the endearing, realistic and remarkably well-developed and original characters that became so dear to me with every new page read.

I always thought that you couldn’t love every character in a book at a same intensity level or some maybe not at all – and still think so – for they are all different and sharing various traits that may or may not appeal to you. It can also depend on the degree of connection and reliability you feel toward those characters in question. Nonetheless, it’s with joy that I can announce that every character in this book felt utterly unforgettable to me and I like to think that they will not be the cause of you not enjoying the novel after all – if such thing happens. Of course, there are some that are very flawed: there is no ‘perfect’ being in this and that only made Two Boys Kissing look even more authentic. I have no negative comment to make regarding those elements.

There is one ‘main’ story inside this and three less prominent but still important ones that are linked in a way to the principal one. You can also see it as four short stories being connected to one another due to something they all have in common and with characters that are beautifully crafted and looking for something of most importance: love & self-discovery and acceptance.

I have to admit that I had read the blurb a while ago before starting this novel, and so had no idea who actually narrated the story. Although, throughout my read, I had these hypotheses: could they be guardian angels? A metaphor for hope, love and courage brought to life somehow? Dead relatives? At some point, I ran out of ideas and believed what prettied the writing and tone for me most, which worked well in the end. It is after reading the actual summary that I realized how I searched too far and deep when the answer was right in front of me. Nonetheless, my reading experience wasn’t affected and I actually appreciated having the possibility to ‘choose’ my narrators. I felt the same while reading Falling into Place (a quite interesting book!)

This is not my first read by David Levithan, since I have devoured Will Grayson, Will Grayson sometime ago, but that is a book that he co-wrote with John Green and I was perhaps, somehow, too caught up in Green’s words – because of how excited I was to be reading an LGBT book by him – to be astonished as I am now by Levithan’s. Incidentally, regarding this novel, the author’s note was absolutely perfect and so wonderfully honest! I feel like I am going to be amazed by this writer some more, if I continue reading his works. Which I will. For sure.

This was the loveliest of surprises I had this month - hum, that doesn't say much since I read it in December but I do mean it! - and would love for you to feel the same! If the story and plot don’t end up making you react in any positive way, there are still good chances the writing and characters will. It is not a book for everyone, I agree, but it contains such…such – I am lost for words – marvellous ingredients that I cannot help but excitingly recommend it to you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Boys Kissing.

December 1, 2014 – Started Reading
December 2, 2014 – Shelved
December 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Love your review girlie! :D ♥♥ I see why you want me to jump on the LGBT train ;D I also read this author through Will Grayson and it was tad interesting ;) Glad you enjoyed this read! :D

Lola Aww thanks!! hahaha :D So glad WGWG pleased you! You will love this one for sure ;)

message 3: by Ana Luisa (new) - added it

Ana Luisa What a beautiful review, Lola! You made me very interested to pick this book up :)

Lola Thank you so much! :D I'm glad to hear that! You'll see, it is really something!

message 5: by Bar (new) - added it

Bar Also hearer about this guy from his book with John Green haha :) lovely review that definitely makes me want to read the book <3

message 6: by Gieliza (new) - added it

Gieliza Great review, Lola! =) I've been eyeing this one as well. I've read 2 Levithan books so far. Wide Awake is just ok for me, but I absolutely loved How They Met. I have several of his other works and I hope I can get to them soon.

Lola Haaa, yes, a pretty popular book ^^ But this was SO much better! Well that makes me happy, thank you!

Lola Gieliza wrote: "Great review, Lola! =) I've been eyeing this one as well. I've read 2 Levithan books so far. Wide Awake is just ok for me, but I absolutely loved How They Met. I have several of his other works ..."

Thank you, Gie! You absolutely have to try this one :D It's not long and pretty damn beautiful! Enjoy your reads!

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I've been meaning to get to this book; it sounds like such a heartbreaking but powerful read.

Have you read Every Day by him? It's amazing!!!

Lola Truth be told, I was too drunken by the incredible writing that made everything seem so beautiful to me to feel any hearbreaking feeling :P but it isn't all rainbows and sunshine for sure!

Oh noo, but I do plan to! After I read Boy Meets Boy that is :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lovely review Lola! Aww! This story sounds so sweet <3

message 12: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Enticing review :)

Lola Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Lovely review Lola! Aww! This story sounds so sweet <3"

It was to me! :D But you may find it quite sad heh Thank you! <3

Lola Aditi wrote: "Enticing review :)"

Thank you! :D

message 15: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie  **2 Greek Girls Reading** Fab review, Lola! ^_^ I love the picture, it's so cute! And I had no idea John Green had co-written a LGBT story!

message 16: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Lola wrote: "Aditi wrote: "Enticing review :)"

Thank you! :D"

Pleasure Lola! :-)

Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) LOl...Fab review Lola, I'm glad that this is the best surprise of December for you no matter what ;)

message 18: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Awesome review girl!

message 19: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Wonderful review Lo! Love the quote at the start.xoxo

Lola ღSophieღ wrote: "Fab review, Lola! ^_^ I love the picture, it's so cute! And I had no idea John Green had co-written a LGBT story!"

Isn't that great?? :D WGWG was pretty nice. Thank you, Sophie!!

Lola Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) wrote: "LOl...Fab review Lola, I'm glad that this is the best surprise of December for you no matter what ;)"

hahahaha, thank you ;D hahah I admit that was very LOL-worthy!

Lola Mysza wrote: "Awesome review girl!"

Thanks, Mysza! :D

Lola Eliza wrote: "Wonderful review Lo! Love the quote at the start.xoxo"

I actually got quite emotional when I read that quote in the book. It is so so true!! And beautiful. Thank you <3

Georgina ☽ 2greekgirlsreading Lovely review, Lola! :D I didn't know this was written by David Levithan :O I'll be definitely checking this out ;)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review, Lola! :))

message 26: by Srikari (new)

Srikari Awesome review loveee :* I am so glad u r finding books that u r absolutely liking!

Branwen *of House Targaryen* Beautiful review, sweetie! :D

message 28: by Noelia (new)

Noelia Alonso Lovely review!! The only books I've read by David Levithan was Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a nice Christmassy book. I think I would have to give more of his books a go

message 29: by Marla Mei (new)

Marla Mei Brilliant review, Lola!

* A Reader Obsessed * Great review and endorsement!! I'll have to check this out...

message 31: by Toni (new)

Toni Brilliant Review Lola! I've never read anything by David Levithan. That'll change soon.

Lola Lily wrote: "Lovely review, Lola! :D I didn't know this was written by David Levithan :O I'll be definitely checking this out ;)"

It is! And he's such an amazing writer!! Definitely check it out! Thank you <3

Lola Cathy~❤️ wrote: "Wonderful review, Lola! :))"

Thanks, Cathy! xo

Lola Srikari wrote: "Awesome review loveee :* I am so glad u r finding books that u r absolutely liking!"

It has been so long since I'd given a five star rating omg O.o Thank you!!

Lola Branwen *Blaidd Drwg* wrote: "Beautiful review, sweetie! :D"

Thanks a lot, Becky!! :D

Lola Noelia wrote: "Lovely review!! The only books I've read by David Levithan was Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a nice Christmassy book. I think I would have to give more of hi..."

oooh, I definitely have to read that one before Christmas! Thanks for the heads up ahah Enjoy this one, Noelia! Definitely worth it :D

Lola Marla Mei wrote: "Brilliant review, Lola!"

Thank you, Marla! :) xo

message 38: by Lola (last edited Dec 03, 2014 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Great review and endorsement!! I'll have to check this out..."

YES, you do! ;D Such a (relatively) sweet book aha
Thank you! <3

Lola Anna wrote: "Brilliant Review Lola! I've never read anything by David Levithan. That'll change soon."

I'm glad you're interested though :D Thank you, Anna!

message 40: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Great review, Lola :))

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2014 07:51AM) (new)

Lola Brandi wrote: "Great review, Lola :))"

Thanks, Brandi! :D

Lola Kat Stark wrote: "Aweee, glad to see that you've been enjoying most of your books lately. Maybe it's the Christmas spirit!"

Maybe indeed!! So far, the three Christmas themed books that I've read were good to great reads <3

ღFloღ the coffee addict Fantastic review, Lola!! xx

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Terrific review, Lola!:))xx

message 46: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Fantastic review, Lola!! I'm so glad you loved this book so much :D I'll have to check this author out

Lola ღFloღ the coffee addict wrote: "Fantastic review, Lola!! xx"

Thank you, Flo! :Dx

Lola Arianna wrote: "Terrific review, Lola!:))xx"

Ari, you have to read this one!! ;) Thank you!

Lola Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "Fantastic review, Lola!! I'm so glad you loved this book so much :D I'll have to check this author out"

Definitely ^^ He's quite amazing!! You will love the writing <3 Thank you!

message 50: by TL (new)

TL Another lovely review Lola, funny thing... I had just added this to my wishlist right before I saw your review :)

« previous 1