Nagrom's Reviews > L.A. Rex

L.A. Rex by Will Beall

M 50x66
Jul 17, 2010

did not like it

Great start... gets stupid beyond belief before the end though.
The stupidity is really too bad, as Beall can write well. His writing reminds me of conversations and experiences with friends in Law Enforcement, and on the streets. He brings a very authentic voice to his LEO's and mopes alike. The story begins extremely compelling, and is less formulaic in its development, not laying things out in a typical or expected fashion. But, about two thirds through, Beall gets himself stuck on stupid,and a tight, original, believable plot falls off into a juvenile gangster fantasy.
I felt let down and disappointed by the last third of the book, where all of Beall's reasonable street characterization takes a left turn into bizarre, unoriginal, unbelievable, behaviors and actions, including an out of the blue, unreasoned, sword fight.
Also disappointing to me is that for an experienced police officer and Homicide detective, Beall displays little functional knowledge of firearms, or terminal ballistics. This could be a purposeful omission, for some reason, but it was annoying and sundered the air of authenticity while there still was one.
Beall showed a lot of promise in the beginning of this book, but after the end, I think I'd have to pass on anything else from him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read L.A. Rex.

07/17/2010 page 107