Caitlin Hannah 's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

liked it

Ehhhhhh. I'm conflicted. I didn't love it and didn't hate it. I listened to the audiobook, which I love doing for authors whose literal and figurative voices I'm familiar with. It really makes the book come alive for me (see also: Tina Fey and Bossypants). I can't quite put my finger on why this book left me with kind of a bad taste in my mouth. As my friend Jonna's review said "I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it either. It didn't reveal much about her as a person -- the whole thing felt guarded and manufactured -- but it did have the unfortunate effect of making me like her a little less. Bummer."
(Thanks, Jonna!) This is exactly how I feel.

Things I got sick of while listening to this book: Hearing about how much Amy hated writing this book, hearing about how short Amy is, hearing lists of names of people Amy hung out with/worked with/has met, and how she seems to feel simultaneously both humbled by and cocky about it.

Things I enjoyed while listening to this book: Amy's sense of humor, how she genuinely doesn't seem to care what other people think of her but also owns up to times she knows she was showing off, how she values friendships, hearing her talk about parenthood and things she loves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

December 2, 2014 – Shelved