Holly's Reviews > The Old Money Book

The Old Money Book by Byron Tully

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads

** spoiler alert ** As soon as I received this book, I immediately went to the table of contents and found the "most relevant" section to peruse. For me, that was the "Cars" section, as I've been considering buying a new car. I found the information within to be pretty interesting, and quite useful. It actually confirmed some of my previous beliefs about buying a car, but my car situation would take way too long to explain here. I then skimmed a bit more, but did not have a chance to finish the book at the time because life got quite busy (which is ridiculous given that this is a 140 page book).

Eventually I sat down to read the entire book. Overall, I did find useful information and tips within this book. It's about remembering the bigger picture (this is a lifestyle), and taking what tips each individual can apply to their own life - of which there are definitely a # throughout the book.

However, I did have a few issues with the first half of the book, within the "Core Values" portion. I'm not a parent, but found myself thinking that I'd feel slightly resentful of receiving parenting advice from a book geared towards money/finances (I do understand that this is about much more than that, it's about a lifestyle, but I was still a bit turned off). Likewise for the nutrition section. As a personal trainer with a nutrition certification, I found it to be a bit odd that very specific nutritional information was discussed. Furthermore, the author mentions that organic foods should be bought, and although he mentions gardening at home - which would be great in an ideal world - it's not always feasible to have one's own garden at home, and organic foods are always more expensive when store bought. This is a huge dilemma and catch-22 within our society, which is exactly why people from lower incomes often settle for packaged/convenience foods that are cheaper. I can go into more specifics, but I will let the reader formulate their own opinions.

I would like to thank Byron Tully and Goodreads for selecting me to receive a copy of this book as a goodreads giveaway winner. And I must say that Byron Tully included a personal note both within the package and on the inside of the book - which was a nice touch, so thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Money Book.

December 2, 2014 – Started Reading