Sharon's Reviews > Skipping Christmas

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

it was ok

Blair Krank is off to Peru to join the Peace Corps. Christmas without their only daughter will be tough for her parents Nora and Luther, so when Luther discovers that not only can they save money but avoid the rituals of Christmas altogether, Nora jumps at the chance to go on the all-inclusive cruise that Luther has booked.

They don't put up a tree, they don't plan their annual Christmas Eve party, they don't decorate their house (much to the chagrin of their neighbours), they don't buy any gifts, they don't buy any food, they don't send cards. They're packed and ready to leave on Christmas Day...........until Blair phones, informing her parents that she's coming home for Christmas.......and bringing her fianceé.

The movie adaptation of this book, Christmas with the Kranks is one of my all-time favourite Christmas movies. I watch it every year when I put my decorations up, and several more times throughout December. What I have learned from reading this is that it is indeed possible that sometimes, the movie adaptation can be better than the book. While the movie stayed true to characters and dialogue for the most part, the book lacked heart. The characters were truly brought to life by Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis - it's just a shame that they had no life to them in Grisham's work. It's the first book I've read by him, and will be my last if they are all to this standard.

The main thing that annoys me about the storyline is that Blair has just joined the Peace Corps for a year - and she gets 10 days off to fly home for Christmas a month after flying out? Absolute rubbish. I just googled "Would the Peace Corps let you fly home for Christmas" and discovered that while you can fly home at any time, it must be on your own dollar and it can't be more than 3 days. The least Grisham could have done was googled.

The second thing that annoyed me was Luther - he was moany, whiney, whingey, disrespectful, and inconsiderate. At least he had some redeeming features in the movie - Tim Allen made him come across as an ass, but a loveable one who cared about his wife and family. In the book, Luther doesn't seem to give a hoot about Nora or Blair. He's crotchety and mean, and his complete turnaround (the one involving the Scheels near the end) is completely out of character for him.

The book was rushed, and flowed badly. I will continue to enjoy the movie, but I was very disappointed with the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Christmas.

December 1, 2014 – Started Reading