Susan (The Book Bag)'s Reviews > House Broken

House Broken by Sonja Yoerg

bookshelves: books-read-in-2015, 2015-reviews

Look at this cover. Isn't that face just adorable? Well, that face is what first drew me to House Broken. We had a chocolate lab for 13 years, who looked very much like the dog on this cover. And then I read the synopsis. There is so much about this book that I can relate to; the main character is a veterinarian - my youngest sister is a vet; the main character comes from a dysfunctional family and has issues with her mother - well, 'nuff said about that.

So anyway, I felt like this would be a story that I would enjoy and like I said, could relate to. Let me tell you, this was a great story! It is amazing to think that this is Sonja's debut novel. She writes so wonderfully and she makes the storyline and the characters seem so real.

Geneva's father dies when she was quite young and she has to deal with a mother who basically isn't there anymore. That is a tough way to grow up.

'Geneva, patient and watchful, waited for Helen to come around. But the strength that should have returned to her mother never appeared, or never for very long, and Geneva finally realized that she was waiting for a mother she never had.'

When Helen is injured and can't live on her own while she is recovering, Geneva's husband Tom, convinces her that maybe the best thing would be for Helen to move in with them. Maybe they could mend their strained relationship.

'Maybe she's learned her lesson. Maybe if she's here, and she needs to rely on you, she'll see how to be a better person.'

But Helen has secrets, secrets she has kept for many years. And these secrets are the basis for the problems in the family and the estrangement among the siblings. She married very young and her marriage to Eustace wasn't the wedded bliss that she expected. And her life did not turn out at all like she thought it would.

'She had been relieved to move into Eustace's house in town, where the streetlights shone nice and bright. Of course that was before the trouble started, when her idea of scared became the things you couldn't see.'

Then Sonja throws in two teenagers, with all the drama and problems that teenagers seem to have at this stage of their lives. And Ella and Charlie both have their own secrets. With all the other family drama happening around them, their lives just start spinning out of control.

'No one tells you how stressful it is to be this cool.'

As I was reading this story, I was thinking about how dysfunction seemed to run in this family, first one generation, then the next, and the next. Then I wondered, maybe every family is dysfunctional to some degree. No one is perfect and no family can be the perfect family. We just do the best we can with what we have and we learn to live with it.

In the end, Geneva and her family learn to deal with their problems the best way that they know how and go on from there. And it might not be the way you think, I know this book didn't end as I expected it to. Don't you love it when an author can surprise you like that? I know I do.

House Broken was a fabulous read and I am looking forward to the next book by Sonja. There was a little sneak peek at the back of the book so I got a taste of what's to come. I will be watching for it because Sonja has now been added to my list of must read authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Broken.

December 2, 2014 – Shelved