Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand

Hunter of Sherwood by Toby Venables

Dec 01, 2014

bookshelves: read-2014

Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand is the sequel to Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows.

Guy of Gisburne is a knight and agent to Prince John. Gisburne is returning to England after having saved Jerusalem from going up in flames. But he has hardly landed on England’s shores before he is “summoned” to a meeting with Prince John. Someone has killed a knight and it seems that more will be killed by the “Red Hand”! Now it’s up to Gisburne to find out who the killer is and stop him.

When I read a book that has over 500 pages it better be good, it better not have a lot of fillers. This book hasn’t a lot of fillers. When I was somewhere in the middle I thought back to everything I had read and realized that every scene I had read was important to the story. That’s a good feeling. So I just plowed through the book enjoying the adventure, the action, the humor and the very well written story. And of course, tried to get my brain to grasp the fact that it’s Gisburne and Prince John that are the heroes in this book, not Robin Hood and Richard the Lionheart (damn you movies)!

But I must admit that I had a soft spot for Robin Hood and some of my favorite scenes involved him and Gisburne. And somehow it was really nice to see a darker side to Robin Hood (can be because I‘m more of fan of antiheroes than heroes)

This a terrific book, perfect for anyone that likes adventure, action and humor all in one!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter of Sherwood.

December 1, 2014 – Shelved
December 1, 2014 – Shelved as: want-to-read-2014
December 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-netgalley
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-netgalley-edelweiss
December 22, 2014 – Started Reading
December 22, 2014 –
2.0% "Galfrid regarded the warm, pungent sludge flowing about his calves and tried not to gag. “‘Come to Jerusalem,’ you said. ‘Good wine. Good food. Lovely climate. Walk in the footsteps of Christ...’” He poked at something lumpy with his pilgrim staff and, with a grimace, decided against further investigation. “Obviously I missed the passage in the scriptures where Jesus went down the sewer..."
December 22, 2014 –
9.0% "Never before had it been made so clear, the extent to which Hood’s legend had taken root. Seeing it now, Gisburne despaired for England. It also presented him with a practical problem to which he had no solution. He could fight a man. But how did one fight a legend?"
December 23, 2014 –
27.0% "Prince John is actually good in this book and Richard Lionheart is the bad one...that feels weird..."
December 23, 2014 –
41.0% "Gisburne stared at his Galfrid in disbelief, then back again at the awful, mouldering structure. “These are our lodgings?” Over the door, fashioned in wood and painted a vivid red, was an enormous and rather badly carved penis."
December 23, 2014 –
60.0% "I think I actually like this books bad Robin Hood more than the usual "good" Robin Hood...I need to read the first book since alas Robin hasn't been that much present in this one..."
December 24, 2014 –
70.0% "“What’s this?” he said. “A new dish from France,” said the server wearily. “Cock in wine.” Then he added, deadpan: “And I’ve heard all the jokes.” He plodded off, leaving Gisburne and Galfrid staring down at the dish in wonder, and not a little trepidation. “Cock in wine...” repeated Galfrid."
December 25, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014