Du Nguyen's Reviews > Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

Brain Rules by John Medina

liked it
bookshelves: kindle

Brain Rules by John Medina is a book covering the brain. The focus of the book is on how you can improve your life based on what science has learned about the brain. Medina covers 12 principles which are 12 tips for how to improve your mental performance.

I quite like this book in that it covers nicely some actionable steps to improving mental performance. It makes each chapter self-contained and the way Medina writes, has inspired me to makes changes to my own life. The writing style is quite easy to follow and Medina takes a much personal style as well in telling stories about himself and how some of these principles apply to his own life. Each chapter ends with how each principle could be applied to school and work which I quite like but feels a bit malplaced.

Some of the chapters are better and more interesting than others and towards the end the book loses its momentum.

The rating given reflects the interesting content but also the sometimes uneven focus on the content.
I'd recommend this book for people new to cognitive science and who is not interested in the research but wants some actionable steps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brain Rules.

November 30, 2014 – Shelved