Christopher Buchanan's Reviews > Doctor Who: The English Way of Death

Doctor Who by Gareth Roberts

bookshelves: doctor-who, missing-adventures

A P.G. Wodehouse style Doctor Who story. I've seen this attempted before in a more recent novel and it come out very poorly. Roberts has done a remarkable job of it here though. The blithe English banter and dry humor peppered across a dark landscape of malign alien intelligences and zombie intrigue makes for a very entertaining read.

The characters are well developed, if a bit cliche, but I suspect that was intentional. Roberts does the 4th Doctor well and that is a difficult task in print. So much of the 4th Doctor was Tom Bakers mannerisms and delivery that he usually seems to loose something in translation to the page. Not here though.

The story is beautifully paced. Just enough action in the right places to get the pages turning but no so much that it swallows the story. Imaginative, witty and clever. I enjoyed it much and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.

November 30, 2014 – Started Reading
November 30, 2014 – Shelved
December 1, 2014 –
December 4, 2014 –
41.0% "This seems to be a P.G. Wodehouse style DW story. I've seen this attempted before in a much more recent book and it was to poor effect. Roberts seems to be pulling it off quite nicely however."
December 8, 2014 –