Marie's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

F 50x66
Jul 16, 2010

I reserve 5-star ratings for books of extraordinary creativity, skill, craftsmanship, and lasting impact to the reader. Of course there's that personal enjoyment variable, too.

Android Karenina meets every criteria I've got. Quirk Classics has yet to miss the mark on creativity, and Ben Winters molds words I could read or listen to all day in this work. My first three criteria have been met with each of the three previous Quirk Classics released, and I expected nothing less.

I expected more humor than humanity from this, though. The humor was there, masterfully done, but the confusion and intensity of the human experience overwhelmed me. Somehow, works about machines say more of mankind than of machines. I'll read this again in the winter when I indulge in my annual "Russian winter" thing, and I'll add the original Anna Karenina as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.

July 16, 2010 – Started Reading
July 16, 2010 – Shelved
July 16, 2010 –
page 272
50.28% "I haven't been able to put this down since I got it yesterday! Russian literature is a summer treat and winter indulgence. THIS is positively inimitable!"
July 18, 2010 – Finished Reading