Jess's Reviews > Pieces of Sky

Pieces of Sky by Trinity Doyle

Originally posted on my blog

This feels like a precious gem, raw and unfiltered and sharp. It looks gorgeous on the outside, and it shines brightly from the inside.

Lucy has to deal with the death of her brother, and doesn't know how to deal with it--as to be expected. She feels the pressure of life pressing down onto her: the stares from people at school; looking after her depressed mother; dealing with a father who just can't accept her way of grieving; swimming finals, when she can barely stand to be near water.
When texts start being sent to her brother's phone from an unknown number, things get weird, and it draws Lucy even closer to the brink of obsession over her brother's death. Who is the mysterious girl that he drew before he died? Who is the person sending intimate messages to his phone? Since when has her mum had a history of depression?
It makes her question her brothers death: was it merely a stupid accident, or was it suicide?
The very idea that he could have killed himself is a chilling thought.

My one issue with this book is that out of nowhere, we would be in a flashback, and it was difficult to discern whether I was stuck in the present or the past. Lucy would be doing or thinking something, then she would be having a conversation with Cam that had happened before he died. It doesn't even use past tenses to denote the flashbacks, which made things very confusing.

The romance was sweet. Evan is a cute guy, and the things that happen between them is so realistic, and so so so sexy at times. It made me yearn for that first-love feeling. It's been a while since I felt that way from a book.

I read it in one sitting, within 3 hours, devouring every single word and sighing constantly at how perfectly relatable it was. It felt so distinctively Australian, and as I write this, I'm surrounded by eucalyptus trees, and kookaburras are laughing their little heads off. There's the screech of cockatoos, and I saw a kangaroo yesterday from the train. It made me smile and embrace these things.

This book is so raw and emotional, I kept crying for most of the second half. Even now, just reminiscing about it is making me tear up. How does Doyle manage to get right into my heart with those amazing words of hers?

Doyle has captured the Australian voice so well, it made me feel right at home. This was a stunning debut, and I can't wait to read more from her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Sky.

November 29, 2014 – Shelved
November 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 11, 2015 – Started Reading
June 11, 2015 –
page 1
0.34% "I'm so excited to read this!!"
July 8, 2015 –
page 287
98.97% "why are these tears all over my face what is happening how do i stop crying"
July 9, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-stars