Julie's Reviews > Defining Destiny

Defining Destiny by Deanna Chase

bookshelves: e-book, contemporary-romance

Finding Destiny by Deanna Chase is a 2014 Bayou Moon Publishing, LLC publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This New Adult/ Contemporary Romance captured my attention from the first chapter and kept me deeply invested in the characters and their lives.

Lucy believes she and Caden are they are soul mates. They are famous and successful musical artist, but when Lucy's father died she used her talent to write very personal songs about her father, her pain and loss. When she discovers Caden took her songs and agreed to have them recorded without her permission, on top of finding out he has been cheating her with groupies, she can no longer stand to be around him.
Returning home to Mendocino, California to pull herself together and regroup, Lucy finds herself out with her best friend Jax. The instant her eyes lock with Jax's friend, Seth, things get complicated .

Seth is a talented artist suffering incredible grief after losing his girlfriend. Instead of sketching he now applies his talent as a tattoo artist. Meeting Lucy has awakened something in Seth he had thought he would never experience again, and would never want to. But, if Caden is Lucy's soul mate, like she claims how could she have a long term, deep and meaningful relationship with Seth?

Well, I love the concept of soul mates and I do believe in them, but I don't know if I think all people have them. In this case the weak spot of the story for me was trying to understand how someone as shallow, immature, manipulative, and selfish as Caden could be Lucy's soul mate. I think maybe her poisonous mother has drilled that concept into Lucy's brain so often, Lucy has the idea so deeply imbedded into her psyche she is unable to relinquish the idea. Of course I understand the book is about choosing one's own destiny, but a person can do that without being mentally tied to a person so toxic to them for all eternity. So, this concept was one I had a hard time wrapping my brain around. Personally, I believe the person you are in love with is your soul mate. But, that's just me and other than this one area I was on the fence about, the book is a solid romance novel which would appeal more to the New Adult audience, but contemporary romance readers will appreciate this story as well.
I enjoy a story written from the first person perspectives of the two main characters, in this case, Seth and Lucy. This gives the reader a much deeper and personal insight into what is going on with each character. Seth is cautious and his sadness jumps off the page at you as does Lucy's anger and frustration. Occasionally I became irritated with Lucy because of her obvious weakness when it came to Caden. The secondary characters were also central to the story, adding strength, confusion, and at times a touch of extreme dislike – for instance, Lucy's mother.
Overall this is a compelling story, well written, and an interesting spin on the rock star romance trope. I was relieved beyond words at how things worked out for Lucy and Seth. I think that deep down these two will come to realize, in time, they are one another's soul mate after all.

Favorite quote:
“ What is it with men and romantic comedies? Do they think watching two fictional people work out their issues for an hour and half means some kind of commitment?”

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defining Destiny.

November 29, 2014 – Shelved