Aaron Vincent's Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

bookshelves: dystocalypse

When someone considers Hell as their last refuge, you know something has gone terribly wrong.

Ellie and her friends took a few days vacation in Hell, a practically inaccessible camping site, only to return and find out that their country, Australia, is under invasion by an unknown enemy.

It has been weeks now that I've been watching the trailer for the film-adaptation of this book practically everyday. I have to admit that the big explosions, fighter planes, wild chases and girls going rambo convinced me to read the book. Like what happened to me with the Michael Grant's GONE book, it took a great deal of effort to find a copy of this but it was worth it. It was not as violent as I expected it to be(please bear in mind that I have a really high standard for violence) but I am no way disappointed. Of all the dystopia novels I have read, this one is the most plausible to happen in reality. James Marsden writes a believable story of survival in face of great danger where everything, friendship, loyalty, and love, is at stake.

All of the characters, at the start of the story, seems to be a typical teenager. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see yourself in one of them. But as they realize how much their country needs them, they begin to discover a side of them they never thought they had. You will root for them, cheer for them, and surely, they will make you feel proud. This may be embarrassing but I caught myself several times at the edge of tears because these characters are really awe-inspiring. Somehow, I feel guilty for my "Ellie and her friends" phrase at the beginning of this review. I think its really unfair for the rest of them to be just called as "Ellie's friends". Homer, Robyn, Corrie, Kevin, Lee, and Fi are every bit as strong as Ellie. You just can't set aside or ignore anyone of them.

Don't get me wrong though. Just like every fan of this series, I fell in love with Ellie Linton too. She reminds me so much of my dearest Katniss Everdeen of The Hunger Games. Both of them are forced to learn how to be tough for themselves and for everyone they care for. Both of them has shown admirable courage to defy anything that comes their way. As for Caitlin Stasey playing as Ellie Linton in the movie, her screen presence in the trailer is massive. It makes me wish that Lionsgate could find an actress as hot and as badass as Caitlin Stasey is.

If Koushun Takami in his novel Battle Royale brings out the monsters out of his young characters, James Marsden was able to bring out the warriors out of his characters. In this book, the war and invasion happened in Australia but it could easily have been your country. If this kind of adversities will happen to your land, will you be the monster? or will you be the warrior?

I dare say that this book is the type of young adult novel that is not only for young adults. It does not only possess a damn good story but also a good social commentary. In a way, it leaves a challenge not only for young people but for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos And you forgot to mention the Acclaimed Marcus Zusak, another great Australian writer.

Aaron Vincent Dude. Read it carefully.

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Ay sorry... di ko na click yun "more."
Ahahaha! :D

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Interesting. I'm not really a fan of war novels (or war movies, for that matter), but your review may make me try this kind of novel. I especially liked this part:

James Marsden was able to bring out the warriors out of his characters.

Interesting. Adding this in my wish list, now. :)

message 5: by Ace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ace where did you buy your copy?

Aaron Vincent Tina, there is also a bit of romance in the book so I guess I can still recommend it to you. And its not really all out war, its more of a coming-of-age novel.

ace: fullybooked

message 7: by Ace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ace I already found a copy of book 1 to book 3 for P160+ each in NBS but asked them to just make it P80+ for me, so it's a good deal :)