Janet's Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Jul 15, 2010

bookshelves: my-favorites, great-characters, drama

There are plenty of topics in Snow Flower and The Secret Fan to focus on. The first to come to mind might be how completely oppressed women were at one time in China. But what struck me was the laotong bond between Snow Flower and Lily.
Relationships between women are not always easy. Often, they are strained, filled with miscommunication, pride, spitefulness. The sad fact is that women can bring out the worst in each other. But, there are those few friendships in life that are true and strong. These are the bonds that carry us through our lives and inspire us to be at our best.
The absence of warmth, compassion, love in the lives of these girls makes their bond even stronger and more vital to them, and, yet, is the love they share immune to the pitfalls of miscommunication, pride, and spitefulness?
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is a beautiful book. It's a window into another culture, in another time, but with themes we can all relate to.
Everyone should have a laotong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Sandy Wow, you should do our booktalks. It is funny because this morning first thing I got a call from a patron requesting this book.

Janet It is a great book. You should know that as this book brought to mind the true friends I have in my life, you were right there.

P.S. I could do booktalks all day. Unfortunately for my family, I have a severe book problem, and it seems to be escalating!