karen's Reviews > Socks Appeal: 16 Fun & Funky Friends Sewn from Socks

Socks Appeal by Brenna Maloney

Jul 15, 2010

bookshelves: crafties

i don't usually review my craft books, because what can you say?? they are either "good" or "bad", or "easy" or "too complicated"... there isn't a whole lot of emotional resonance, you know? there aren't any socio-political implications or in-depth analyses necessary. however. if you are a crafter?? this book is great great great. in fact, it rocks my world. i have just made something from it (shhhh it's a surprise) and it is cute and was fun and quick, which, as i was seriously pressed for time, was a big plus. i saw this advertised
in this magazine, (which you should check out if sewing/knitting is your thing - plus this issue has an interview with my hero john murphy, with monsters from his forthcoming book!! he is the reason i got into making monsters in the first place, and his creations are truly something to aspire to. zipper-mouths!)i picked up this book and another one advertised in stuffed, which is also great, but i haven't made anything from it yet, so i may review it later, or maybe i will just make the creatures and pretend i made them up out of my pretty little head.

i wholeheartedly recommend this book even to novice sewers - they are not difficult at all, but they are really freaking cute.i want to make all of these except for the ugly-ass mermaid at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Socks Appeal.

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Was this the one with the fox in it?

karen no, that's the other one. this is the one with all the penguins and hamsters.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Did this one have the squirrels in it that I really liked?

karen yes! this was the squirrel one. and the jellyfish!

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg I loved the squirrel with the crazy hair.

karen oh, i know. i like the parade of hamsters.

message 7: by j (new)

j i know what EVERYONE is getting for christmas!

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt Maybe they should make literary fiction/craft book mashups? I'm thinking they would be like regular craft books but with added blurbs like "His wistful smile denoted an existential malaise that hinted at Mr. Frog's denial of the existence of god."

message 9: by JSou (new)

JSou Jellyfish?! Damn, I wish I was crafty.

I would totally buy that literary fiction/craft book, tadpole.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney i'm going to check this one out. i haven't finished my sock monkey because i've been reading more lately but i enjoyed making him.

karen i have way too many of these books. but they are really good reference materials, for when you just want to make up a creature out of your head. i would buy a litcraft book, also.

i will make you a jellyfish if you want! right now, i am super far behind in my promised-crafts, but if you can be calm and patient then i can make you one.

message 12: by David (new)

David i wholeheartedly recommend this book even to novice sewers

I can't help it if I always read 'sewers' as the place where rats and feces go.

i have just made something from it (shhhh it's a surprise)

I can't wait until it gets here.

karen hahah yeah, you are right. sewists?? is there a better word??

oh, david, i do have something for you, but it ain't this.

message 14: by JSou (new)

JSou I would love a jellyfish! Thanks, karen. I am very good at being calm and patient.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg Karen, I've been very calm and patient for seven years, can I have my lemon bars now?

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Karen, I had a very short bout with crafting (is that the right word?) while being pregnant for most of four years, but I recovered. /just kidding

karen hahaahah i told you i lost that recipe and i gave you a mix to replace it!! maybe i can trick you into coming to the jazz picnic this weekend if i tell you i will make them for alice?

i will send jessica a jellyfish when i mail her book? the jellyfish look wicked fast to make. it's the friendship bracelets that are giving e a hard time...

ellen - come back to crafting!!

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg Hmmm, maybe if I didn't know it was a trick I would consider it. The bright sun, heat, jazz, being somewhere that is only accesible by a boat which everyone will be trying to get on, and people dressed up in 1920's outfits needs more than just a vague 'there might be lemon bars', I would need proof, and even then I'd have to decide if it would be better to wait 7 more years to have them.

karen what do you have against ferries?

karen i should have taken a picture of the fish for here. moops.

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg I don't dislike ferries, I'm uneasy about being stranded somewhere with only a boat to get me away from where I am. It's not even really what I just said, it is more just flashbacks to the casino boat thing I went on with my parents that went on a couple of hours longer than we thought it would and it was like being trapped in some hell where my tormentor would guess that appropriate entertainment to drive me insane would be a Blues Brothers cover band. And all I wanted to do was get off the boat and be able to goto sleep, but no, we had to keep going around international waters listening awful music. That is what relying on a boat gets you. I also have my issues about buses and airplanes. Really the only civilized form of transportation is either a train or a car that someone else is driving, but which one has full control over the radio.

karen hm. this is a very short ferry ride to an island that is made of land. plus, free charleston lessons. plus. a million alices!

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg You are on the island with all the people who think they are living in an F. Scott Fitzgerald book. How many flapper women have sleeve tattoos? I imagine quite a few. I'm fairly certain Zelda would have never considered getting that done, although maybe she did since she was nuts.

I hope your ferry boat doesn't sink. And that it is not too hot. I'm sitting in my air-conditioned apartment. I'm no sucker.

karen there were indeed some tattoos. alice got pissed at them. she also got pissed when she saw ladies drinking cans of sodas.

i had a wonderful time. we are going back and you are coming this time.

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg I'm not 1920's though! I'm slovenly 1990's all the way.

message 26: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Has this book helped you refine your Pat Benatar carpal tunnel forearm warmer technique?

karen no, armies are functional, not fun. maybe someday i will make some with a face on them.

greg, i was not dressed like that, i was all modern and no one made fun of me. i mean, except alice...

message 28: by Greg (new)

Greg did she break out her cell phone and text anyone while making fun of the way you were dressed?

karen no way.

message 30: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine greg is like kurt cobain if he stopped trying to look cool :P

message 31: by karen (last edited Jul 19, 2010 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen

message 32: by Greg (new)

Greg Very fancy looking food. I did miss out on that, but I was too busy playing Nirvana songs on my acoustic guitar.

message 33: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy it is cute and was fun and quick, which, as i was seriously pressed for time, was a big plus

See, this I don't follow. If I'm "seriously pressed for time," I just don't sew stuff out of socks.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen It's okay, Isaiah. I think only really classy people do that. We can't all be karen.

karen hahahahh good point. but i like to make things for goodreaders when they visit, and elizabeth was coming, but it had snuck up on me so i had to be super-speedy. and - success.

message 36: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine jewess kindly requests that you remove photos of her from the interwebs.

karen really?? but she looks so pretty!

karen wait - from all the websites?? including russian brides dot com?

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I know. I told her I didn't want to get involved and she should text you but she wouldn't.

I think russian brides dot com is probably okay.

karen better??

karen what would she even text me on?? my toaster?

message 42: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I don't know I am on the third floor.

I was thinking the tv.

karen hhmph, so the sartorialist can have her on his website, but not me....

i am not hip enough.

message 44: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine that is a good point you are much cooler than the sartorialist.

message 45: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine maybe she is worried someone will come try to steal her funny butter if they see these pictures of her.

karen i think you are looking at the goat cheese maybe??

message 47: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine maybe

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy All well and good, but for the supercool Grateful Dead socks that I acquired recently, you STILL have to go to the SockMan on St. Marks Place....

karen he is expensive!

message 50: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Say what you will, if you want the mouse-eating-cheese sox, you've gotta pay the price!!!