Liralen's Reviews > Spain or Shine

Spain or Shine by Michelle Jellen

Nov 29, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: z-2014, fiction, travel, ya, reviewed

Elena's in Spain, and I've reached the end of this series. The former is a good thing; I'm not sure about the latter.

Although Elena's Spanish is limited to what she's learned in high school, she has Spanish relatives. Her trip abroad serves two main purposes -- to figure out who she is out of the shadow of her siblings and to take advantage of the theatre course her S.A.S.S. programme offers -- with a bonus of meeting those relatives.

She's a likable character. I admit that I cherrypicked my way through the series, sort of, saving some of the ones with better reviews for the end, but that worked out well here. Elena's pretty relatable -- not exactly a wallflower, but definitely shy; fairly comfortable with others, but not always with herself. She grows a lot over the course of the book, too.

The romance was interesting, for once: there wasn't a ton to the romance itself, but this might have been the only book in the series in which the love interest is not obvious from the moment he steps onscreen (onpage?). Or perhaps he is -- but there are enough other (decent) guys around to confuse the matter for both Elena and the reader (or at least this reader). Kind of nice to see. More realistic than it could have been.

Not sure I love the last-minute solve for the play (and I would have loved to know more about the other one) -- felt a little too...last-minute change to the lesson Elena's already learned about herself. Again, though, nice to see her grow.

I know this series is largely fluff, but I really am kind of sorry to have come to the end of it.

More general look at the series here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spain or Shine.

Finished Reading