Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Dreamer's Pool

Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier

Let me put it bluntly, okay? Sometimes we must face the facts, as unpleasant as they are : Nothing in Dreamer's Pool brought me enjoyment. Nothing. That's why, no matter how skilled Juliet Marillier might be with her words, I cannot rate this book anything else than 1 star.

That is, until that fae dude came in the picture. I'm sure the guy has reasons to act the way he does, but so far his motivations remain in the shadows and I can't wrap my head around the idiocy of it all. This is not a feeling I enjoy. Deus-ex-machina to its finest.

Truth is, 15% in and I already knew that something was amiss - unfortunately it did not get better. The whole thing is boring and filled with pages and pages of countryside random life nonsense like,

"I talked to some farmers about a troublesome patch of boggy ground and the need to dig a drainage ditch. They could not agree on its position. I suggested they consider a compromise that would not encroach too severely on either man's farm, and told them to bring it to the council if they had not reached agreement by then."

And it goes on, and on, and on... Blackthorn says it better than I could :

"There was some discussion. The two fellows set out their arguments, which had to do with rights of way and wandering cattle. My mind was wandering too, away from a matter that was of little interest to me..."

EXACTLY. I do not care about any of this.

Which brings me to : What is the fucking point of this book?! I would say, to resolve a mystery...

... But how in the world can I call this a mystery when I guessed EVERYTHING at 30%? It doesn't make me proud, but it just shows how obvious the plot "twists" (can we really talk about twists at this point, that I do not know) were. The strings were so flashy and unavoidable that it annoyed me to no end to wait for the characters to finally get it. As far as plot resolution goes, Dreamer's Pool is a big fail for me. This said, even predictable, some books manage to keep my interest because of their wonderful characters.

Dreamer's Pool is not one of those books. Where are the complex and fleshed-out characters? Because I saw none. On the contrary they felt one-dimensional to me : having a tortured past doesn't make you layered. If you act like a robot and that I, as a reader, can guess everything you'll do/say, you are not complex. Neither Blackthorn or Grim are, and I just didn't care about what could happen to them whatsoever. Not that they actually did something during most of the book, mind you. They honestly seemed as perplexed as I was about their role in the story. And don't get me started about Oran, the naive Prince waiting for his true love. What a brat, really.

Finally, I am so very mad at the way sexuality is portrayed and how the boundaries between good and evil are linked to it. I genuinely thought that we were past shaming women for sex, and using it as a main characterization point, but it seems that I was wrong. In this world, if you want to find the Evil Women, just look at those who have sex. As for the others, they're most likely going to be raped. (view spoiler)

It doesn't help that this book contains one of my BIGGEST pet peeves (view spoiler), which led to some idiotic and rage-inducing drama. One might say that the villain's wrongs do not stop at sex, but see, it is not my problem here. What maddens me is the fact that sexual behavior is what brings awareness on the flaws of a character. Indeed, sex is supposed to convince me that this person (view spoiler) is the villain. NOPE. Screw this and these double standards.

(view spoiler)

I can already see the arguments telling me that at this period of time, women were often categorized as such with the "whores" (who have sex before marriage) and the "good girls" (who wait and do everything in their power to stay virgins). Excuse me but, WHAT PERIOD OF TIME?!

1) No matter how medieval the world is pictured, this is Fantasy, not Historical fiction. We could wonder why medieval settings are so often used in Fantasy, actually, especially because with them come so many sexist stereotypes.

2) This book has been written in 2014. If I would be more lenient with a Medieval author, this is not the case here. Why do contemporary authors feel the need to picture worlds where women's sexuality is treated with such shame and Manichaeism? Nobody forces them to do so, and this is the authors' choice. I am so very tired of this choice.

Fuck this.

Of course Blackthorn doesn't agree with the sex shaming and I really appreciated the way she defended women from these numerous sexist remarks (often from the villains, yes, but the "Good Girls don't" speeches are still way too present for my taste).

But in the end, because of the way the plot is built, it doesn't change anything. I am not happy with the ending which I found awfully unfair.

Dreamer's Pool might be loved by many readers, yet I cannot recommend it, as it was such an utter fail for me.

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamer's Pool.

November 28, 2014 – Shelved
May 14, 2016 – Started Reading
May 14, 2016 –
41.0% "So, is something going to happen at some point?! I mean, except the thing-I-think'm-pretty-sure--I-guessed? Also, what's up with the descriptions of random country life? Like really? Give me something, damn it."
May 14, 2016 –
80.0% "No. NO. NO. You do not go there. NO. God I'm so pissed."
May 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

message 1: by Giovanna (last edited May 13, 2016 12:50AM) (new)

Giovanna I've read Daughter of the Forest by Marillier and loved it...hope you enjoy! This one is on my radar :P

message 2: by Cris (last edited May 13, 2016 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cris I really liked this book. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I have this book somewhere :-)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

And, again, I wish you happy reading! :D

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ Yes! I started this awhile ago and thought it was quite good! I just didn't have time to finish Haha. Happy reading!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thanks everyone! *Finger crossed* ;)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ HEHEHEHEHE WE BEGIN

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more YESSSSSS. You NEED to meet Grim. NEED.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) wrote: "HEHEHEHEHE WE BEGIN"

OMG!!! YES WE DOOO!

#CRAZY UNITE

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "YESSSSSS. You NEED to meet Grim. NEED."

Yes yes YES!! I need a male lead to love <3 Meeting him tonight :D

message 11: by P (new)

P Happy reading Yay !

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ P.Z. wrote: "Happy reading Yay !"

Thank you!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

But angry rants are so fun to read! XD

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Oh no! This is on my tbr pile...

Cathy (cathepsut) Emma wrote: "Oh no! This is on my tbr pile..."
Many people liked and loved it... ;-)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Mikaela wrote: "But angry rants are so fun to read! XD

Sorry this was a bust, though! Looking forward to reading your review tomorrow, though! :D"

Haha thanks^^

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "Emma wrote: "Oh no! This is on my tbr pile..."
Many people liked and loved it... ;-)"

Yeah, that was what I was going to say... You'll see in my review if we have the same peeves Emma, but in my friends list the opinions are pretty mixed :)

message 18: by Emer (new)

Emer I have to agree on that pet peeve... Just don't do it authors! I can't even rant about it coherently because it makes me so mad too.... *steers clear of this one*

message 19: by Chantal (last edited May 15, 2016 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes me feel so much better!! I honestly thought something was wrong with me for not liking it :( Also, totally agree on everything you mentioned. Wrote quite a rant review for this one. Can't wait for your full thoughts (if you do decide to write a review).

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) Ha. I had issues with it too. Book two is not any better, in my view.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "I have to agree on that pet peeve... Just don't do it authors! I can't even rant about it coherently because it makes me so mad too.... *steers clear of this one*"

ME TOO. I am just so tired of this, so so tired. For me it's a lazy way to create your villains, and also damaging.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chantal wrote: "Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes me feel so much better!! I honestly thought something was wrong with me for not liking it :( Also, totally agree on everything you mentioned. Wrote..."

Omg, I really did not like this book and after rereading your review, I agree with everything. I was bored, did not care about the characters, and in the end, I was pissed. Ugh.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Sh3lly ✨ Guardian of Mermaids with Broken Tails ✨ wrote: "Ha. I had issues with it too. Book two is not any better, in my view."

Yeah :/ It's my third book from her and I liked the other two alright, even if they were a little slow (Shadowfell and Heartblood) but this one was not for me at all :( Book 2 isn't better then?

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes me feel so much better!! I honestly thought something was wrong with me for not liking it :( Also, totally agree on everything you ..."

SAME! The way the villain was portrayed...made me so angry.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chantal wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes me feel so much better!! I honestly thought something was wrong with me fo..."

RIGHT?! And when we came to the lie (my peeve), I was so mad that I had to stop reading for a while. So fucking pissed.

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes me feel so much better!! I honestly thought something was ..."

It was so incredibly obvious too. As you said, I saw everything coming from the 30% point onward.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chantal wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Omg, I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this makes m..."

RIGHT? (view spoiler)

message 28: by Cathy (cathepsut) (last edited May 15, 2016 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy (cathepsut) I really liked the first book, but a lot of my friends didn't like the second as much. I will definitely read it, as I already have it on my Kindle. I am not in a hurry, though.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "I really liked the first book, but a lot of my friends didn't like the second as much. I will definitely read it, as I already have it on ym Kindle. I am not in a hurry, though."

I just looked at reviews for book 2 and my friends seem to be mixed on this one too... I guess I'll see, but I'm in no hurry either.

message 30: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha I've a confession to make, I like your snarky reviews more than your fangirly ones. KBYETHANKS >.>

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Ayesha wrote: "I've a confession to make, I like your snarky reviews more than your fangirly ones. KBYETHANKS >.>"

LMAO, I actually like them too xD Thanks :P

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) No wonder you rated this book 1-star. You finished it. I mean, I would probably have done the same *and* killed it with fire, had I made it past the first 40%.

But I have to say you are quite harsh on the fascinating characters in this delightful story. They are all pretty captivating. And so complex. Especially Bramble the dog. Yeah, Bramble was the most awesome of them all.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "No wonder you rated this book 1-star. You finished it. I mean, I would probably have done the same *and* killed it with fire, had I made it past the first 40%.

But I have to say you are quite har..."

Lmao, if only you knew.... Bramble the dog is indeed the most interesting xD I kept thinking that, you know, it would get better but NOPE. It became worst. From intense boredom I ended in madness. Ughhh.

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ This is good to know. I read about the first 100 pages or so and then just...stopped for some reason and never went back to it. If the rest of it isn't worth it I dont' think I will be trying to finish it!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Arielle wrote: "This is good to know. I read about the first 100 pages or so and then just...stopped for some reason and never went back to it. If the rest of it isn't worth it I dont' think I will be trying to fi..."

Yeah I can honestly say that for me at last, it didn't get better but quite the opposite. Oh well.

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Haha! Anna I love your negative reviews! I can almost see you ranting and waving your arms around lol!

Thanks for bringing a bit of light entertainment to my morning:)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "Haha! Anna I love your negative reviews! I can almost see you ranting and waving your arms around lol!

Thanks for bringing a bit of light entertainment to my morning:)"

Haha you're very welcome (and I DO wave my arms around xD). I didn't expect to hate that book so much to be honest, but oh well, it happens^^

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Yet it all started so promisingly. Indeed the first two chapters (out of 41) awoke my interest : Blackthorn and Grim, prisoners and driven with vengeance, touched me with their hopelessness and I couldn't wait to know what their future would hold.

Mannnn I feel bad for ussssss. Sigh. Maybe the bone cruncher is our boy...?

Lmao...We are fucking sickos. Just sayin'

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) wrote: "Yet it all started so promisingly. Indeed the first two chapters (out of 41) awoke my interest : Blackthorn and Grim, prisoners and driven with vengeance, touched me with their hopelessness and I c..."

Hahaha that we are. I PUT MY MONEY ON THE BONE CRUNCHER.

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Easy peasy blot twists and a boring story-line don't do it for me either. Fabulous review, Anna, and here's hoping you find something much more exciting to read next! =D

message 41: by Snow (new)

Snow Hey this book is available for free right now. Don't know if it's good the cover just immediately made me think of you :') https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ LET THE BONE CRUNCHING COMMENCE!

message 43: by Brigid (last edited May 16, 2016 05:21PM) (new) - added it

Brigid It was fairly fucking boring.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jen (in her Unicorn Bubble) wrote: "Easy peasy blot twists and a boring story-line don't do it for me either. Fabulous review, Anna, and here's hoping you find something much more exciting to read next! =D"

Thank you!! My next book was already better :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brigid wrote: "It was fairly fucking boring."

Riiiight? Never again.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Snow wrote: "Hey this book is available for free right now. Don't know if it's good the cover just immediately made me think of you :') https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2......"

Haha thanks! Sounds fun!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) wrote: "LET THE BONE CRUNCHING COMMENCE!"

:P

Nikki Hm, but it isn't just sexual behaviour that makes Oran realise something's wrong. It's more than anything the attitude to sexual behaviour; Ciar acts out of character for the person she's trying to impersonate. Oran is as much bothered when she victim blames a woman who was raped, which he believes Flidais wouldn't have, as by her interest in sex.

Dyanna The world in the past was much more innocent then how our present world is. Many people in our days think that sex is ok even if you are not married, our Lord teaches us the opposite but what you did not understand is that the plot takes place in the far away past and then people were much more pure then what you see in our present days.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I've answered the "far away past" excuse in my review.

« previous 1