Dorianne Emmerton's Reviews > Adult Onset

Adult Onset by Ann-Marie MacDonald

I don't think this will be as big a hit as her first two, as it doesn't have the epic scope and big traumas that they did, but Adult Onset had all these "oooof" moments for me. It's about a woman who's a writer and is not currently writing, instead spending her days with her willful toddler. She's got some hangups and some issues with her temper and all of that was very identifiable for me. So was the loving, familiar descriptions of the places in Toronto where she lived and shopped and otherwise frequented. The relationship with her wife was also so realistic and touches on issues in my own personal life, except I would be the wife. The protagonist is an older lesbian and her wife, a younger queer/bi woman, knows and acknowledges the work and hardship her generation/demographic went through to get to today's relatively accepting society - but she wasn't there, she didn't experience it and the protagonist can't help but resent that a bit.

The fact that the circumstances of the novel closely mirror MacDonald's own life make it feel very confessional, and I felt very touched that MacDonald would be so brave and make herself so publicly vulnerable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adult Onset.

Finished Reading
November 27, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Patty Holmes So totally Bang on. It is a rare delight when I find a review that mirrors my thoughts on a book so closely.

Dorianne Emmerton Patty wrote: "So totally Bang on. It is a rare delight when I find a review that mirrors my thoughts on a book so closely."

Thanks so much!