Liralen's Reviews > Swede Dreams

Swede Dreams by Eva Apelqvist

Nov 27, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: z-2014, fiction, travel, ya, reviewed

Sweden! While it still exasperates me that most of this series is set in Europe, I'm pleased that some of them take place in countries I know so little about.

Calista has gone to Sweden for two reasons: to get a break from his perfect, talented twin, Suzanne, and to be closer to her Swedish boyfriend, Jonas. She's studied some Swedish on her own (note: when she moans about how perfect Suzanne is and how she doesn't have a talent of her own, nobody stops to point out that she speaks four languages) and is ready for action.

Calista's an interesting one because she's really very different when she's with (or talking to) her family and when she's on her own. She's a bit hard to take at times when it comes to her family, honestly (I spent a fair amount of time, especially early on, wondering if I wouldn't have preferred a book from Suzanne's perspective), but when it comes down to it she's no different than, oh, any teen who has a complicated relationship with her family. We do see a much kinder side, too, pretty much right away...and she grows up a bit with regard to her family.

Now. The boy. (There's always a boy.) I...don't have much to say about him. Calista comes to the conclusion that he's the guy for her because the have a lot in common and a lot to talk about, but I don't really see it, perhaps because they don't spend a lot of time together. Not that I mind their lack of joined-at-the-hip-ness -- I appreciate it, in fact -- but it feels a little like an afterthought. Too much time spent on Jonas, perhaps, especially considering that (view spoiler).

I don't believe the amount of Swedish progress Calista makes, but...at least she's another heroine with an interest in the language and who puts effort in to learn. Overall, a pretty fun book.

More general look at the series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swede Dreams.

Finished Reading