Jennifer's Reviews > City of Veils

City of Veils by Zoë Ferraris

Jul 14, 2010

bookshelves: read-mysteries-and-thrillers, first-reads-giveaway-wins
Read from August 26 to September 06, 2010

Won as a goodreads giveaway! Just waiting for it to arrive . . .

Ok, so it hasn't arrived. Checked it out from the library because I really do want to read it.

A solid mystery set in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

The most fascinating part of this book was its setting. The mystery is good - but the place is what sets it apart. I simply had no idea that Saudi Arabia was still so conservative - I thought it was more liberal and modern - but that's not the case, particularly for women.

I thought the author also did a great job with the complexities of Islam and the problems that affect most people of faith - which is more important - the law or the principle behind the law? Is it ok to break the law to uphold the principle?

This is the 2nd book that Ferraris has written, but you don't need to have read the first to understand what's happening - I didn't.

However, after reading this, I do plan to go back and read her first and will definitely be on the lookout for more from her in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Veils.

Tara Chevrestt Taking a while isn't it? LOL

Jennifer I was thinking the same thing. =)

Tara Chevrestt I was thinking maybe they don't want reviews until closer to its release date but it already has quite a few... And I would think the contest wouldn't have ended so soon then.