Willow's Reviews > Shades of Twilight

Shades of Twilight by Linda Howard

Jul 14, 2010

bookshelves: epic-couples, first-love-round-two, romantic-drama, southern-setting

On the surface, this one is a bit worrying. The whole kissing cousins thing is strange, even if they are second or third or whatever number you want to put on it. I get it, this is the Old South to a certain degree, but still. There's a reason Yankees say this stuff about us. BUT, you do get past it. You understand the mechanics of this family and how they work and how it is they keep this piece of land in their family the way they have.

So once you're past that you're going to find a story told best in the south. The one of family drama and loyalty and of loves that are tangled and passionate but are rooted in something fundamental, something that's going to last for generation after generation. This is the story of a legacy, one that's dying out, but refuses to. Roanna Davenport is a little girl who has lost everything only to become a woman who will battle the fiercest of storms with her shoulders back, defying whatever it is she may want for the best of her family. Webb is a man that had to escape after a night that changed his entire life. A night that started with something so innocent but confusing and escalated into a torn family and him losing what had been his right to have. Then you come to however many years later, and you come to Roanna and Web meeting once again, but this time they're older and more damaged and the same barriers aren't between them. I knew this was something great when he began to count her smiles. That's when I understood Webb and I understood the journey Roanna would take and putting the books down became damn near impossible.

Yes, this is a plot that could very quickly escalate into a story you'd expect, and it does in a way, but Linda Howard, the goddess that she is, weaves such a perfect story for these two that it feels like an earlier Sandra Brown. These complicated, interesting, passionate characters that aren't always PC and have so many faults, but you get so wrapped up in their lives and victories and you'll be rooting for them all by the end. This is a really lovely, sexy, memorable love story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Twilight.