Emily O's Reviews > In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose

In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens by Alice Walker

2302019
Jul 14, 2010

bookshelves: women-authors, non-fiction, people-of-color, feminism-and-politics, anthologies-and-collections, theory
Recommended for: everyone

If you read my recent review of Alice Walker's famous novel The Color Purple, then you'll know that I think she is an excellent novelist. Well, dear readers, the good news is that she is also an incredible essayist. I would encourage teachers everywhere to use her essays in their classrooms as an example of the perfect personal essay (especially Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self). If you know me or if you've read my blog, you know that I don't usually read non-fiction. It usually bores me, and takes me forever to read. I read this book in less than two days, and I actually stayed up late to read it because I could not put it down. It's that good. The writing is excellent, and I learned so much about the experiences of black women, especially in the South. It was eye-opening, engaging, and just generally awesome. I cannot recommend it enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens.

July 14, 2010 – Shelved