Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Stone Soup

Stone Soup by John Warren Stewig

Jul 14, 2010

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, fairy-folktales, picture-books, reviewed, readbooks-male-author-or-illust, readbooks-female-author-or-illust
Recommended for: those who enjoy various version of the Stone Soup tale

This is (at least) the fifth version of this story that I’ve read. I vacillated between giving it 3 or 4 stars, but since I gave the other 4 editions 4 stars each and I liked this version as much as the others, 4 stars it is.

This version has a young girl traveling to look for more food for herself and her mother. The villagers here are overtly stingy. I like the clever way three soldiers, I think fromMarcia Brown's famous version of this story, were incorporated into this story. I appreciated that a clever girl was the heroine of this take on the tale.

I enjoyed the illustrations by Tomes. I loved the way Grethel looked, and the colors used and the style of art worked very well for this story.

I’m not sure why I keep reading different versions of Stone Soup. It’s a wonderful tale but it’s not one of my very favorites. I think I won’t seek out any more version for this, at least not in the near future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Soup.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: ""I’m not sure why I keep reading different versions of Stone Soup."

Peer pressure? ;)"

I think it's: because they're there ;-)