Margitte's Reviews > The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

bookshelves: comedy, favorites, fiction, reviewed

This is another book I acquired based on you dear and wonderful Goodreads friends' reviews of it. My literary exploration has become a mind and soul-enriching adventure since joining GR. I have you all to thank for it.

What a complex, intricate, profound and entertaining read! Adventure and laughter; enlightenment and emotional exploration.

A professor in genetics approaches everything in life as a well- prepared project, for which he opens an official file. He lives his life by his own strictly-scheduled days. His extraordinary intelligence, combined with his Asperger behavior, determines his academic brilliance and social ineptitude. But everything changes when he decides to address his animal instinct of copulating and finding a life partner. He compiles a 17- page questionnaire with which he hopes to find the perfect partner. And then of course, the mix is on with often hilarious results.

It is one of the all-time best romantic novels I have ever read - an absolute brilliant book. A thought-provoking, as well as highly entertaining all-night read.

The main character, Associate Professor Don Tillman, can be regarded as a good combination of the characters Melvin Udal in the movie As Good As It Gets and Dr. Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory series.

It is indeed an endearing proof that love can be scientifically explained, but must be artfully tested to confirm its existence.

For those of you who know me by now, will also know that I do not 'do' the romance genre very easily. But this book is much much more than that. Even male readers will enjoy this rendition of love ;-)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosie Project.

November 25, 2014 – Shelved
November 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 28, 2014 – Started Reading
November 29, 2014 – Shelved as: comedy
November 29, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
November 29, 2014 – Shelved as: fiction
November 29, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Elyse Walters awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Sonja Arlow I adored this book, already got the second one :-)

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue So glad you enjoyed this.

Margitte Elyse wrote: "awwwwwwwwwwwwww!"

Glad you enjoyed it too. :-)

Margitte Sonja wrote: "I adored this book, already got the second one :-)"

Oh myyyy, and what do you think about the second one?

Margitte Sue wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this."

It probably may have flaws, but it was just such a welcome fun read with more flesh around the plot. Loved it indeed.

Suzanne Great review Debbie, I'm glad you loved it!

message 8: by Dolors (last edited Nov 30, 2014 03:28AM) (new)

Dolors This sounds appetising Margitte and it's been ages since I read a good romance...directly to my to-buy list to keep the wheel of GR recommendations rolling ! :)

Tania Just finished the 2nd book in the series, and loved it.

Margitte Suzanne wrote: "Great review Debbie, I'm glad you loved it!"

Thanks, Suzanne. It was indeed a refreshing romantic comedy. The author redefined the genre a bit.

Margitte Dolors wrote: "This sounds appetising Margitte and it's been ages since I read a good romance...directly to my to-buy list to keep the wheel of GR recommendations rolling ! :)"

Me too, Dolors. I can't even remember the last time I have read anything of this caliber in romantic comedy. It is not a genre I pursue at all. I will try the sequel as well, but usually don't want to. Still think about it.

Margitte Tania wrote: "Just finished the 2nd book in the series, and loved it."

You wrote a great review for this one, Tania. I must hop over to read your review of the second one as well. I still need to make up my mind about that one.

message 13: by KathyAnne (new) - added it

KathyAnne I own this but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet... must move it higher on the to read list!

Margitte ChattyKat wrote: "I own this but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet... must move it higher on the to read list!"

I listened to the audiobook while reading the book along. It was a good decision. The audiobook is available on Youtube. Hope you enjoy the story!

message 15: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Lovely review, Margitte! :)

Suzanne Sorry Margitte I called you someone else how rude . Book no 2 is great too, nothing can beat this but still very good!

Margitte Suzanne wrote: "Sorry Margitte I called you someone else how rude . Book no 2 is great too, nothing can beat this but still very good!"

Oh it's an honest mistake, not rude, Suzanne. I have bookmarked no.2. I enjoyed this one enough to purchase the next one as well. Thanks for the recommendation, Suzanne.

Suzanne You've read some of my all time favourites of the year. Similar tastes ;)

Margitte Suzanne wrote: "You've read some of my all time favourites of the year. Similar tastes ;)"

Indeed! I've checked your book lists. And there's some new possibilities in there waiting. lol.

Margitte Alejandro wrote: "Lovely review, Margitte! :)"

Thanks, Alejandro :-)