Red Haircrow's Reviews > Stones from the River

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi

Jul 13, 2010

Read from July 13, 2010 to January 01, 2012

Although I often read history, especially books regarding World War II and Germany, memoirs, collected memories, analysis into the various horrors and sheer arrogant stupidity of what the Nazis and others did, I seldom, if ever, read fiction books about those times.

This book, however, caught my eye because the central character was a Zwerg, or dwarf, one of the many groups considered “unfit to live” which were summarily done away with under the Nazi regime. Secondly, this character, Trudi Montag’s best friend as a child was a boy named George whose mother dressed him as a girl and kept his hair long. Without reading anything further into the short synopsis on the back of the novel, I thought it might be about their personal interactions, regarding their “disabilities”, with those who meant for them to die. In the end, the book is about far more.

My Background

I like living in Germany. It’s where I was born, though not my ethnicity, and was one of my favorite places in the world to live by simply existing. Doing my thing, and being allowed to do so. A separate space. This is quite shocking to some people, those who still look on Germany as Nazi, intolerant and ugly. Whatever one thinks of modern Germany and its population, whether one is insistent on their culpability and propensity to commit evil acts, or is merely doubtful in some way, few people know the depth of the self-loathing, national examination and fury of descendants of “those ones” who participated, “looked the other way” or somehow minimized what happened. Though it is considered a more “unreligious” Christian country, many are insistent almost nearing religious fervor, that one be allowed to live or do what they wish, within universal bounds. That can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

The Holocaust is taught in schools, and students are required to learn about it, but it’s a subject few Germans except scholars or other academicians will discuss with “outsiders”. It’s a subject if brought up, the faces shut down, become wary or misdirective, or if they are the outspoken sort, they will question why you are pursuing the topic. Some, usually the younger generations, don’t want to hear about it anymore because they are sick and tired of the still accusatory comments or jokes made towards them, their people and country. Australia, Spain, the UK, the USA, France, the core EU (or previous EU partners) were all colonizer invaders who attempted genocide, and in some populations succeeded, because of their beliefs of superiority and manifest destiny. It is still happening in areas of Asia and Africa, and the effects of genocide are on-going in the Americas, the Pacific Islands and Australia.

Review:

I initially found the book difficult to get into, not because of topic, but because of style, which was choppy and sporadic, with a POV which toggled between an omnipotent viewer and the main character as an infant and toddler who made observations about individuals and situations that would be impossible for a child of that age. Often there were snippets of thoughts or memories provided as if from old age looking backwards, yet it was in early childhood details. Many other facts are merely implied. You have to ascertain a conclusion from information presented, and you’re often left doubting or wondering if you understood something correctly.

The setting is a small village in Germany, one of the many burgs which often surround or are near a larger, cosmopolitan city. Hegi is excellent at setting a mood so you can “see” and feel what it’s like to live in such a place: the little relationships, the jealousies, the short-lived boasts and affairs which kept everyone just a certain distance apart yet always together. There are good people and bad people, ones you ultimately as a reader can judge as such, yet the author makes no such attempt. She gives you the information, you can draw your own conclusions.

You are drawn into the world of Trudi Montag, her father owns a book circulation library and is a former injured veteran of WWI. She is visibly different, painfully and emotionally aware of the fact, yet with ingenius courage survives and keeps a dignity so many thoughtlessly attempt to brush away. That very difference, Trudi’s birth, her dwarfism is yet another trigger into her mother’s slow descent into madness, and poignantly we observe the bittersweet nature of a child’s desire to please and make happy a parent who soon is helpless against their own compulsions.

As other peers grow taller, grow up and pursue the nature courses of life, Trudi feels trapped yet determined to also grow in all ways, but her obsession with being “normal” teaches hard yet important lessons which keep her alive during the years to come. Unrequited love, secret abuse, solitary agony and loneliness. Trudi is small in stature but hugely spirited, fierce and passionate in her hates and personal battles.

Characterization is extremely important to this writer, even if the amount of names and descriptions can be confusing at times, with each person Hegi shows aspects of the German character, its idiosyncracies, faults and positives. About midway through, Hegi finally hits her stride, as the inevitable events we now know as history, begin to unfold. Almost frenetically we are drawn along in the emotional flood knowing what is going to happen, but as we’ve been made to care for each person, reluctant to progress already realizing the inevitable.

Conclusion:

For some who are more narrow-minded, they will not take away from the book the knowledge Hegi is trying to impart: that although virtually all Germans of that time knew and felt something very wrong was occurring, and they knew the basis on which it was focused, the ridding of the fatherland of Jews, some resisted and helped those Jews or others as they could with risk to their own lives. Some more than others. Others not at all, but many in some way or another did. It’s easier with hindsight to proclaim what one would have done in such a situation, but Hegi excels at showing just how normal people can change, and how the world around can change you.

For those who’ve studied facism, you’ll clearly see the examples of what type of attitude a police state creates in its populace. One most notable is the willingess to turn in others to prove their own loyalty, even children against parents, sibling to sibling, old friends of old friends. And later, to minimize or justify those acts. To conveniently forget what roled they played.

Yet the book is not a political statement. It is not a justification. It is not a mediation. It is starkly plain as seen through Trudi Montag’s eyes what people are and can be. As a little person who was often ignored or dismissed, her insight is brutally honest yet acceptable as truth. It is a character which I often find in Germans today, the willingness (if they allow you in) to harshly examine self, to admit to weaknesses or wrongdoing of thought or deed, but with a pragmatism which accepts those facts but is unwilling to be dismayed by them. Life goes on. Again, for good or bad, as this tendency can be problematic in actually caring that one's own actions can negatively impact others even if it feels good for you. That's colonialism still at work.

As an editor, I would have been compelled to “clean up” Hegi’s writing, make it more coherent and flowing, yet it would have lost the sparkle which makes unique her voice. As a reader, I found it challenging, but overall this book is extremely successful. I would strongly consider it one not to be missed. Although they make hundreds of films these days about anything and everything, this is a book I would love to see adapted for film. With its snippet like quality, it would be perfect for the big screen.

A bittersweet and wonderful gem. I am glad I didn’t put this one to the side simply because I don’t often read contemporary fiction or because the stamp on my copy proclaimed it a “Oprah’s Book Club Selection”. I would have been much less having not read it. It really is near perfect in it’s view of German life of the era, the complexities underlying an entire country and people’s past which continues to haunt with a darkly golden light.

Full commentary is copyright to my review site Flying With Red Haircrow http://flyingwithredhaircrow.wordpres...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stones from the River.

03/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy When I visited the Auschwitz Museum in Poland the first time, there was a group of German schoolchildren listening to a lecture. It made me wonder whether the children or teacher felt any remorse or guilt, or whether the Holocaust is far too removed to be personal. It is perhaps no different than American schoolchildren learning about slavery or the history of Native Americans. As you mentioned, mass killings of people have occurred in nearly every nation. It doesn't mean that a nation is "evil" or that everyone agrees with the actions taken by its leaders. Thank you for this very thoughtful review.

Karen I would echo the previous comment, Thank you for your thoughtful review".
I have been fascinated to read scores of books about Nazi Germany and WWII. I found your comments about Germans today very interesting, and have seen that when I mentioned WWII to Germans they looked away, and I felt I had done something wrong. But, I always wondered what do they think about their history. You have humbled me. Americans are guilty of near genocide of Native Americans. I am humbled....Thanks

I will read this book!

message 3: by ♥ Michaela (last edited Aug 30, 2014 09:19PM) (new) - added it

♥ Michaela Hindsight is 20/20. We know what we would do because we know what happened in the end. It's much harder when the changes are slight. If Hitler said " I want to kill 6 million+ people" of course people would say no...he couldn't have done it alone. It's the insulting stereotypes, the loss of freedoms...such as wearing the star to be ostracized from everyone else, etc...if it wasn't slight more people would have said something...then mob mentality...scared to speak up for fear of being put in danger...how people can stand by and watch a person being attacked and do nothing thinking someone else will be brave and do the "right thing". I am reading the book too, right now, and I really like how the author just tells it like it is...I'm reading The Book Thief as well...Zusak, I think he's Australian, but he talks about the horror of the Halocaust and he's right but Hegi just talks about it frankly "this is how it was" no flowery explanations or condemnations of why. I appreciate that. I am German American myself and I have struggled with the pride of being a descendent...my family left long before WWII though. People associate German with Nazi and that couldn't be farther than the truth. That's like saying, on a much smaller scale of course, all Americans are Democrat...not saying Democrats can be compared to Nazis of course. We as Americans need to look at how we treat those we fear...not every Muslim is a terrorist, yes we should be vigilant but it is not a far jump to now we have to imprison every Muslim in our country.