Ryan's Reviews > Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next 50 Years

Jul 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in July, 2010

Tomorrow Now is an expansive look at the next fifty years by sci-fi novelist Bruce Sterling. The book's premise is intriguing, but the execution is hit-and-miss.

Sterling's writing style is reminiscent of Tom Friedman (Lexus and the Olive Tree, The World is Flat, etc.), which drove me mildly insane as I read the book. Both authors heavily rely on gimmicky initial caps to drive home Important Concepts, as if trademarking new terms mid-sentence. Far worse, these Important Concepts were mixed into sentences which frolicked and dabbled in ideas to the point of incoherent babbling:

As with the event horizon of a black hole, there seems to be no possible communication between us and a Singularity. Our merely human reality is swallowed in an Einsteinian warp, and not so much an informative photon can creep back to us. However, although the approach of a Vinegean Singularity is easy to dramatize, it's not really relevant to what might really happen in a real posthuman world.

Say what?

Despite frequent confusing passages, this book has some incredible moments which make it well worth struggling through the mucky parts. Oddly, there is even a lengthy description of the conflicts in Chechnya where Sterling writes clearly and vividly, making me wish he authored my high school World History textbook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Now.