Sarah Marie's Reviews > Sennar's Mission

Sennar's Mission by Licia Troisi

Sennar’s Mission by Licia Troisi

Second book in the Chronicles of the Overworld Trilogy

Sennar’s Mission picks right up where Nihal of the Wind left off and follows the dual perspective of Nihal and her best friend, Sennar. I loved Nihal’s story that was introduced in the first novel and I was really curious to see where Sennar’s own mission would take this story. The story continues to follow Nihal in the training camps as she prepares to go into battle and Sennar’s mission focuses on a voyage into the Underworld to gain allies from a world forgotten. The story itself is more confident in itself than the first novel and I believe that’s because Troisi has established an in-depth fantasy world that has already been fleshed out. Since the world has been established this novel focuses more on the story instead of the buildup and explanation of why things are occurring. Troisi executes a very well-thought out fantasy world with a complex plot and I found the writing to be stronger than the previous novel. However, I didn’t find the story as captivating and I’m not sure if it’s because it was dual POV, but it could have been that. I love dual PoV stories, but Nihal was a singular focus in the previous novel and to constantly leave one storyline to skip to another was a little jarring, especially since Troisi had to establish Sennar’s character PoV. The fantasy setting itself is so beautiful and Troisi creates wonderful concepts that come to life. There were so many new concepts that were wonderfully executed and made me excited about what I was reading.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 4.75

“But in your heart lies a monster waiting to rouse itself.”

The main female character is Nihal. I love Nihal. Her character has changed so much over the course of two novels and it is remarkable to see how becoming a young teen to a warrior. There are times when Nihal continues to be childish about certain things. It gets a little frustrating and slightly annoying, but she always ends up learning and moving towards change within herself.

Kick-Butt Heroine Scale: 4.25

The main male character is Sennar. I love Sennar. I think I love Sennar much more now because of his PoV. I also continue to ship Sennar and Nihal like there is no tomorrow and I want them to be a thing. His story is very compelling and he has such strong values that make him such an admirable character.

Swoon Worthy Scale: 4.25

The Villain- My Lord! Towards the end the Tyrant does something that is truly horrifying and it really made this story intense. This is no fake villain. This guy is ruthless.

Villain Scale: 5

Laio is back and I love him so much. Ido is also a great mentor and I will be crushed if he dies in the last novel. He’s such a good friend to Nihal and he’s a pure soul. There are also so many new characters introduced and things get intense. People lie and play tricks. It becomes really intense.

Character Scale: 4

The ending was a bit drawn out, but I love the story and the directions that this trilogy has taken. I believe the last novel will be a strong one and I look forward to checking it out! I highly recommend this series if you are a fan of fantasy and especially if you are interested in translated fantasy from other countries because I think this series does a great job of showcasing Italian fantasy and its differences and similarities to Western fantasy.

Plotastic Scale: 4.75

Cover Thoughts: I love the cover. The artwork is stunning.

Thank you, Netgalley and Open Road Media, for providing me with a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Reviews of Other Books in this Trilogy:
1. Nihal of the Wind 4.5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sennar's Mission.

November 24, 2014 – Shelved
June 25, 2015 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
June 25, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
June 26, 2015 – Started Reading
June 26, 2015 –
2.0% "Just finished Nihal and now ready for Sennar. I'm ready!"
August 16, 2015 –
6.0% "Whoohoo! Second book. Sennar's starting his mission. I'm hoping Nihal will make appearances in this one."
August 30, 2015 –
11.0% "I feel bad for Sennar even on the sea he can't escape battles and the death it brings."
September 6, 2015 –
19.0% "Nihal has a POV in here! YAY! Also I really enjoy Sennar's mission so far to the Underworld."
September 7, 2015 –
24.0% "I think that this book is stronger than the first, but that's because there isn't as much exposition."
September 13, 2015 –
28.0% "Hm... well this will make Sennar's mission much more complicated, but I like the history of those who chose exile from the Overworld."
October 3, 2015 –
30.0% "I'm glad to see that Laio is going to stand up to his father for once. I hope he follows through with it."
October 4, 2015 –
33.0% "The one Netgalley read I don't dislike right now. Thank Jesus!"
October 11, 2015 –
38.0% "This is exciting! I love the sound of the Underworld even if they are a flawed system it sounds beautiful."
October 17, 2015 –
41.0% "Feels."
November 7, 2015 –
44.0% "Sennar is making leeway with the Underworld, which means he is just not being executed. Yet. Also Nihal should be the only girl Sennar wants to kiss who is this girl. I don't approve."
November 15, 2015 –
48.0% "I love how Nihal is questioning killing humans outside of war."
November 21, 2015 –
53.0% "I really have to compliment Troisi's way of thinking up this vast fantasy world. It's very expansive and it never feels boring."
November 29, 2015 –
56.0% "Laio's father sucks."
December 6, 2015 –
59.0% "Poor Ondine. Hopefully she doesn't turn crazy or spiteful like most scorned women. She seemed to take it pretty well. Now Sennar and Nihal can be together."
January 10, 2016 –
66.0% "Damn that last chapter with the battle against Dola was intense."
January 30, 2016 – Finished Reading