Tim's Reviews > Blow Fly

Jul 13, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: crime-fiction, fiction, good-firelighters

description
I really used to like Corwell's books but the Scarpetta series seems to have become more and more ludicrous as time has passed. Perhaps that is what other readers want but the whole thing has become rather silly.

Everyone is the best at what they do, everyone has technology from NASA, fast cars and political contacts.The plot wanders far and wide with links to the past and the oddest meaderings of a murderous mind. All fair enough I suppose but to lead the reader through these corridors of fantasy to end the story in about five pages as though running out of time on an exam essay cheats us.

The plot had plenty of merit, the story not badly told although perhaps lacking some of the scientific investigation of previous tomes. The real downer here is that the end is so abrupt, so banal, so dreadfully squeezed into the last few pages the complexity of the storyline simply ignored, as though Cornwell said to her secretary "Listen I am off on holiday won't you finish this off before you go home?"..

A great disappointment, more so if you have enjoyed previous Scarpetta escapades.. I think that this is the last one I shall read, not up to scratch sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blow Fly.

03/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Al (new) - rated it 2 stars

Al Have to agree with you on that - I think Blow Fly was the worst book she wrote, but the newer ones aren't much better.

message 2: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Morton How do you get the "Read-O-Meter" thing. I would love to make use of that on here.

Copper Rodney Review. I am really tired of writers (some of who I really used to like) who cram explanations and simplified resolutions into the last quick chapter. t's as if Cornwell had writted her assigned number of words and abruptly ended. It undcercut the entire complex plot. I also felt that a lot of the book will filled with extraneous information. Maybe she had x number of words ti write and realized at the nd that she had fulfilled her quota. So disappointed!