thelastaerie's Reviews > Lover's Knot

Lover's Knot by Donald Hardy

Jul 13, 2010

Read from July 13 to 29, 2010

A very solid historical romance and I love the Cornwall scenery it so vividly described. This story has everything: regrets, secrets, tragedy, first love, forbidden feelings, village gossips and lots of misunderstandings and sacrifice.

It draws readers in quickly and the parallel narration of present day and the past keep readers guessing. You know something had gone horribly wrong, you begin to wonder if you really want to find out. That almost put me on the edge of my seat.

My only small complaint is the supernatural/pagan element in the story. I think it would have been better and even more heart wrenching if they were all part of the main protagonist's imagination. Also, I feel the love between Williams and his first love farm hand more strongly than the the present day one he has with his social equal friend... Which makes the ending not quite the romantic ending I wanted.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover's Knot.

Rosie Eve, I felt exactly the same way!

*SPOILER*

I felt that Nat really did love Jonathan completely but was trapped by an event from his past he just couldn't escape no matter how much he wanted to. I really believe he was trapped and heartbroken himself. I found him a very tragic figure actually and my heart bled for him. That's what took the five star away for me, I thought Nat got a bit of a rough deal!!

I loved Alayne and Jonathan too of course - Alayne was such a beautiful character - but honestly, the past romance was the one that I 'felt' more...

thelastaerie Rosie wrote: "Eve, I felt exactly the same way!
*SPOILER*

Exactly! Even though Nat did a terrible thing to Jonathan, but they did love each other dearly. It's one of the rare story that I wouldn't mind a tragic ending - like if Jonathan decided to follow Nat... I don't know, I just don't "feel" that strongly for Alayne and Jonathan, they misread each other too many times, it's almost frustrating. I thought Nat loved Jonathan boldy and did a lots of daring things for him.