John's Reviews > Glory Road

Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein

bookshelves: scifi
Read 5 times. Last read January 29, 2019 to February 8, 2019.

198x grade B+
1991 grade A-
2011 grade A
2019 grade A-/B+

2011 Fun book.
Two copies, mass market size and oversize.

2019
It took a lot of life experience to figure it out, but this is just an adult SciFi coming of age story. The main character grows enough to understand himself and to realize how he has to live to be "happy." I don't know what he would have become without the other worlds and universes to do it in.

The story has an odd structure. The adventure and climax, which are usually at the end of a book (the "Glory Road"), is the middle third of the book. That part also discusses magic and metaphysics which slows down the adventure a bit. The first third sets everything up and discusses the problems of governments and war. In the last third the protagonist deals with the personality changes caused by the adventure and discusses the problems of the various human mating and marriage rituals, the idle rich, and democracy. The reason the grade went down is because there is to much discussion. It is not out of date, but it is a bit tedious and slow by modern standards. Society has changed since 1963, and we live a lot "faster."

Given the state of current politics, I must agree with Heinlein's comments on democracy. Zero added to zero is still zero.

Still, it is a recommended book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glory Road.

Finished Reading
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: scifi
January 29, 2019 – Started Reading
February 1, 2019 –
February 1, 2019 –
50.0% "Wow - what a start. Even on the 5th read I was entranced right from the start. I'm in the middle now and and the story has bogged down a bit with philosophical discussions, and some stupid actions by the characters. But it is still better than most books by a large margin."
February 7, 2019 –
February 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

John Coincidence. Yesterday I took Glory Road off the shelf to read again and then got notice of two people liking the old minimalist review. I already started reading and it is exceptionally good writing.